It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
(female)

tooshae HB User
Question Very best OTC iron supplement?

What has been the most effective, otc iron supplement that you've taken?

TIA!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Very best OTC iron supplement?

I was on an OTC supplement but the dosage was so low that it wasnt doing me much good, but i didnt know it was low at the time until i found the doctor who is treating me now and he told me that i could quite safely triple the dosage.

I'm now not on an OTC supplement but one which a chemist especially formulates for my doctor's patients. At first it used to give me an upset stomach but now i take a couple of iron phosphate tablets after the supplement and no more stomach problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I don't think there is one "best" supplement. Everything works differently on everyone.

I have *heard* that some of the best and easiest on the stomach are the iron biglysconates (spelling is wrong there). These are sold on line and in Whole Foods. Carlsons makes one. Supposed to be very gentle and well-absorbed.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

For me I take Poly Iron 150, it is very gentle and well absorbed. It is absorbed through the small intestine, NOT the stomach as others are, and inflammation can occur in the stomach. You really have to try and see what will work for you. Everyone reacts differently. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

tooshae HB User

Is this PolyIron liquid or tablets? Can I purchase it at the drugstore or Wal-Mart?

TIA!

btw---I lived in FL for 5 years (GreaterOrlando area), but now live in WA state.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Poly Iron is the generic, you ask for it at the pharmacy it is OTC. It is 150 mgs of elemental iron and I love it for the amount you get without side effects. I take 2 dialy. You can call around and ask.

What a change for you. I live close to that area too. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread