It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

sharynmusawi HB User
how much iron supplement should I take a day

my iron level is two and hence I am very anemic how much iron should I take a day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: how much iron supplement should I take a day

The standard "over the counter" recommendation is the highest dose of ferrous sulphate that you can find at your drug store and take it 2-3 times per day. This stuff can be VERY harsh on your intestinal tract so you really need to work up to it. Take one tablet for a week, then take two tablets, and work your way up to 3 if you can tolerate it. You need to go easy with this stuff because it can make you ill if you take too much at one time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

When i first found out i was very low in iron i simply bought over the counter iron tablets, which ended up giving me constipation.

I then began taking a liquid iron supplement and i didn't suffer with any stomach issues and no problems going to the toilet. The only problem was that the daily dose was too small an amount and my doctor told me i could quite safely triple the dosage and even then it might be slow going.

Someone i work with had her doctor give her a prescription for a particular type, maybe your doctor could do that for you to cut out the confusion. There are so many iron products available over the counter and it can be difficult to know what to buy.

Another thing to consider, my cousin's daughter is on a liquid form which apparently can end up discolouring your teeth. Not all liquid types will do this, but her particular one does. I guess you need to read the fine print or ask your pharmacist to help you out.

If you end up with an upset stomach from the one you are taking and end up with irritable bowel then you can take iron phosphate tablets to combat the upset stomach.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
(female)

Feeb HB User

it depends on what Iron supplements you are using. most over the counter brands have a iron of 300mg which is 35mg of elemental iron. Your iron is really low, so you should take 3 tablets a day.But like the previous poster has stated to you have to work your up to the 3 tabs a day because it will cause intestinal upset. I am using PalaFer(Canadian brand) which is Ferrous Fumarate 300mg but the elemental iron is at 100mg per capsule. I only take one a day with some food so that it does not upset my stomach. To enchance your iron intake, you can take it with some Vit.C. or a glass of orange juice about 15 minutes after you take the iron supplement. Good luck and I hope you can get your iron stores up.

Closed Thread