It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

ronica47 HB User
how long after iv iron infusion will i feel better

how long after iv iron infusion will i feel better

Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Re: how long after iv iron infusion will i feel better

It will take you several weeks to start feeling better and then it depends on how low you were to begin with and how much iron they gave you. If you still get your period, you may lose some iron. Usually a recheck for your ferritin is done 6-8 weeks after the infusion. I have had to have three infusion this last time because my ferritin droped to 8. This time they were using Venofer, kinder on the system, but you have to go more times, thus the reason for three infusions. I will get checked in 6 weeks to see what my levels are. It usually takes me about three or four weeks to begin to feel somewhat better, but when I get my labs, my levels don't seem to be above 60. Still a lot better than being at 8.

The Following User Says Thank You to mbbasketball For This Useful Post:
ampm63 (05-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
(female)

bluiz13 HB User

I started, or should say tried to start my infusions yesterday. But I had an allergic reaction to the iron and will have to start again next Friday with a different type of iron. I am schedule to go once a week for 6 weeks and then the dr said he will see where my counts are. Anyway, the nurse told me that even though you are getting the iron treatments, its like getting raw material and your body still has to process it. So she said it takes a couple of days to start feeling anything and depending on how low your iron is it could take a couple of treatments to really feel anything. Good luck with your treatments.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
(female)

JJ1 HB User

It takes several weeks before the iron makes you feel better. I am given an IV of benadryl and a cortisteroid before I get the iron to help with allergic reaction. I still will break out in hives a couple of days after, but it is easily handled with OTC benadryl. The steroid makes me feel really good right after the IV. I am getting what will be my 6th, I think, iron IV on Tues.

Closed Thread