It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

tooshae HB User
Question ONE more time....what is the ferritin # that most see hair regrowth at?

When you you personally see regrowth?

I need some hope!

TIA!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User
Re: ONE more time....what is the ferritin # that most see hair regrowth at?

Ferritin needs to be above 70 for regrowth, although some may find it starts to come back at 40 and above. Everyone is different, but 70 is the aim.
Low ferritin is one of the main causes for hairloss in women, although many doctors dont seem to take this on board, as there can be other contributing factors like stress, magnisium deficency, thyroid and androgenic alopica (female pattern baldness) etc

Dont loose hope, Im still hopefull that one day my hair will come back, but its VERY depressing. Its odd though i think that i still have to pluck my eyebrows and shave my legs/armpits (id be quite happy if my pits and leg hair stopped growing - lol).
I want to know why it just effects the head hair - does anyone know?
Best wishes
Linds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
(female)

tooshae HB User
Question Re: ONE more time....what is the ferritin # that most see hair regrowth at?

Nah, I have NO clue why I still have to shave when my hair up top is profusely falling out! Seems like a sick joke!

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Linds, the hair on the head is affected by either hormones or our general well being, while our leg and underarm and pubic area hair is simply there for a reason (likely to protect us way back in the caveman era when we didnt wear clothes/underwear!!). That's why if you ever get electrolysis on your underarms, legs, bikini area it is so easy to get rid of as it is not hair which is affected by our hormones.

As for when do you see regrowth.......my ferretin dropped as far as 8 and my hair was still struggling to regrow. There were baby hairs growing out, but they wouldn't last the distance. I noticed my hair which had normally grown close to waist length was only making it to my bra strap or just below bra strap, but was beginning to look straggly at the ends. On my scalp i had about a million varying hair lengths and they would stick out, most would end up falling out.

For me personally, i noticed this weird hair loss phenomenon start occuring when my ferretin was 35. That was the very first time a doctor decided to do a blood test regarding my hair loss. The doctor was happy with 35 and even though it kept dropping, he never questioned why it was dropping or the fact that it could be affecting my hair loss and my increasing depressed state plus my general tiredness and lack of motivation and that was when my monthly cycles began getting screwed up too. I have since learnt that iron deficiency can affect some womens cycles.

In april 2006 my ferretin was 8 and in about august of 2007 it did get to 35 at one stage and i did notice in mid december of last year that it suddenly wasnt falling out as much as it normally did around that time of year (it being summer here) It's still shedding, but it's closer to a normal amount of shedding than what it has been like in previous years. Previously i could have collected the hair and made toupes for bald men!! Could have made one per week at the rate i was losing it So now i believe my ferretin must be 40 or could be little higher and i'm using my hair shedding as a sort of guage considering i have often heard that it stops shedding unrealistically at around 40, but you dont see proper cycles of hair growth until you get to 70 or higher and stay there. Hair has 3 basic stages, the growing stage, resting stage and i think the fall out stage and all of this is supposed to happen in a proper cycle, but when ferretin gets low it disrupts this cycle and you find you have difficulty growing your hair or its dry and brittle, it thins, falls out more than before, falls out before it's scheduled time etc etc.

Best you can do is keep at the iron supplements, verify with your doctor that you dont have any other medical conditions, watch what you eat/drink as certain foods/beverages can interfere with iron absorbtion. It all takes time and patience so dont give up

Last edited by Audrey-B; 01-25-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
(female)

tooshae HB User

Thanks Audrey......I feel like I'm going thru hell with all of this. I have a busy, stressful life (4 kids, tight on money, etc) and the hairloss just makes EVERYTHING else seem 1000Xs harder, kwim.

I go in next week to check my ferritin. It was 29 a few months ago, but clearly this was low enough to wreck havoc with my hair! I'm still losing badly....God make this stop!

Anyway, didn't mean to be such a downer....I just hate that any of us have to go thru this.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

When i was first started losing my hair, my ferrtin was 12, then it dropped to 7. At my lowest it was>2. My hb has been up and down.
Ive had numerous iron infusions which did help to keep my hb up, the highest my ferritin has been in the last 4 years was 68 (following the infusions), but soon drops again drastically after a couple of months. For me its a vicious circle with my periods.

My hairdresser came last night, and she thought my hair didnt look as bad as it has (although long gone are the days when i can centre part my hair, as my parting is about 2 inch wide. I side part my hair and use thicken shampoo and mouse that i find helps a little.
The trick is to find a style that doesnt make your hairloss look as obvious, but its very hard, I think ive just about managed to get a style that doesnt make me look like ive got a 'comb over'.

Ive kind of accepted that my hair wont ever come back as it was, which is depressing but if it does, then id see it as an added bonus. Although i cant stress enough the importance of massaging your scalp at least twice a day, i still believe that thats whats caused the 'baby hair' ive got occuring.

Best wishes
Linds

Closed Thread