It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

hannahhannah57 HB User
Hemoglobin 6.5-explains alot,maybe this will help others

I am new here & thought I would post my symptons to help others because I had no idea what was going on with me. For the last 6 months I have had dizzy spells, severe headaches, rapid heart race after walking the shortest distances & every night I go to bed, extreme fatigue, restless legs, moodiness, panic attacks, concentration issues, weight fluctuation and a desire to do nothing at all. I thought I was getting older and was thinking this was terrible at only 33, but I have never exercised so I thought well maybe my stamina was going. I also had changed jobs in the past year and my new job was much more stressful. So i began to exercise like crazy for stress relief and I hoped to build stamina, but after exercise I would feel worse, but I continued.
I even made several comments to co-workers and friends that I felt stupid lately, I could not remember anything, was so tired, etc. and maybe I needed an anti-depressant. So I went to OBGYN for annual last week, he tells me the cause of all this is low hemoglobin, a 6.5. I did not realize how serious this was, until he informed me that he could put me in the hospital at that moment. He said we would try to treat first without such a drastic measure, he put me on iron pills, the BC pill for 3 months straight and also prenatal vitamins and no exercise, he said my weight fluctuation was fluid retention. I also have to go every week for them to check my levels. If the levels dont increase they are going to run further tests, but he feels like the cause is heavy periods over the last few months. I felt relief just to know there was a reason for these symptons.
Anyway I just wanted to let others know of my symptons and it is nice to know I was not crazy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Hemoglobin 6.5-explains alot,maybe this will help others

If you have not already, request a ferritin test to know your number for iron stores. Sometimes they don't check this, and also have your B-12 and folate tested because you may be deficient in that as well. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

hannahhannah57 HB User
Re: Hemoglobin 6.5-explains alot,maybe this will help others

Thank you very much, I will ask about those on Thursday as well.

Closed Thread