It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

hannahhannah57 HB User
What to expect?-HB was a 6.2, go back to doctor tomorrow

Any ideas on what I can expect. I went week before last for normal check up, found HB was a 6.5, OBGYN put me on iron 100 mg day plus prenatal vitamins. I went back last thursday for them to check again and it was 6.2. He told me he would give me until tomorrow of double iron dose and eating right, if it had not increased he was sending me to hemotologist, with possible discussion of a transfusion.
First, after being on iron for 10 days today should I expect an increase tomorrow? Does oral iron make that big of a difference in 10 days?
Second my family is concerned that he gave me 4 days of at home treatment after finding out it was even lower, they want me to get a second opinion. They are concerned he should have sent me to straight to the hospital. He did send me home from work until my appt. tomorrow.
I am just nervous, should I get a second opinion? What should he do tomorrow, if it has increased some, should I expect to continue with the same treatment, is that normal? He thinks this is caused by heavy menstrual cycles althought my last cycle was 3 weeks ago, he started me on BC pills to stop me from starting this week. Opinions?

Last edited by hannahhannah57; 02-18-2008 at 03:14 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: What to expect?-HB was a 6.2, go back to doctor tomorrow

Your numbers are VERY low. I'm not sure, after 10 days, that I would expect to see a significant increase. If you don't see an increase tomorrow, then I think your best bet is a hematologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

JJ1 HB User

Last year when my iron was that low my doctor (a hematologist) wanted to admit me to the hospital immediately for a blood transfusion. I was afraid of a transfusion and they told me if I went home and remained on bed rest until they could get me set up with an IV iron treatment, they would concede but if I had rapid heart rate or breathing problems to proceed to an emergency room for the transfusion. I had the IV iron within a few days. I am now monitored every 2 or 3 months for iron levels and seem to need two IV iron treatments per year to keep my levels normal. I started another discussion thread because I am trying to figure out why I am so anemic. In your case, I think you should see another doctor immediately, probably a hematologist.

Last edited by JJ1; 02-18-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

HannahHannah57--I would ask to see a Hematologist because of the fact that your Hgb is so low. They are the professionals that know what treatment is needed and when. You still have a choice as what type of treatment you receive. Usually under a 7 Hgb you have a blood transfusion or IV iron it depends on the doc. I have even heard here on this board of only oral iron which I found hard to believe. I know that when my Hgb was 8.5 I wanted a watchful eye and someone that knew what the heck they were doing. I think that with a double dose you should see a ~little~ upward trend. If so, They may let you continue with that. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread