It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
(female)

Starfish564 HB User
Question Taking iron supplements with food

I'm really confused by this. From all I've read on this board, the general opinion is that you should take iron without food. But my doctor just told me (and put it in written notes also, I double checked) to take my iron with meals. It is ferrous aspartate I believe. I had never heard of this type (and told her so) always having heard the gluconate form is best. Has anyone tried the aspartate form? Any success? The doctor I see is an MD specializing in holistic medicine, so there is never a problem of being constrained by "traditional" methods. She's openminded and will work with the patient (which is half the battle when trying to find a dr.) I'm just wondering why she thinks it will be better absorbed with food? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Starfish

Old 02-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Taking iron supplements with food

Did she say to take with food for better absorption or just to take with food? Perhaps it is harsh and in that case, if it is the only way you can take it, it is better with food. There are many different kinds of iron to try. I would give it a try if it work fine, if not then try another one. I was told for many months (because I was having a problem taking iron) to take it with food because it was giving me problems. The doctors know that iron is upsetting for many so they say to take it with food. But the lack of absorption is a high price to pay if you need iron fast. I have never heard of the aspartate type but you can consult a pharmacist and they can explain the difference. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
(female)

Starfish564 HB User

She did not say anything about better absorption. I have never had a problem taking iron before, so there was no history to suggest that. I have only ever taken iron in it's gluconate form (Floradix liquid) but it is my understanding that this is too low a dose (15mg per capfull) so I've been looking around for a higher dose, well absorbed iron in case this one doesn't work out. I have my doubts, but will give it a try. The liquid Floradix, by the way, I took on an empty stomach and was never bothered by it. What type of iron do you take Flowergirl? How do you know which kind is best? My dr. only said stay away from the sulfate(?) kind. Confusing.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I took the Ferris Sulfate, my PCP told me to get the standard OTC and I had enteritis (that's a really nice name for diarrhea) for 3 months and ended up in the ER because of it. Terrible GI upset from that stuff, not too good for me on top of the anemia.

My doctor then told me to try the liquid but it was a low dose, that's why it is well tolerated I think. My GI doc put me on Poly Iron 150mgs 2X=300 mgs daily for the last year minus the times I was ill and couldn't take anything at all. It is available OTC but you have to ask for it at the pharmacy. It also has Vitamin C already added so you don't have to worry about that. My year script just ran out so I had to ask at the pharmacy and they tried to sell it to me as Poly Iron Forte form, but I realized it on the spot. The difference was is that it also has B-12 added if you need that but I didn't. So they had to special order it which only took one day. It is well tolerated even in high dosage as I was taking 300mgs elemental iron daily. I now take 150 daily until menopause. At least that's what my Hemotologist prescribed. I'm not sure how I feel about continuing iron supplements in that way. I think your doc is right about the sulfate kind.

Everyone reacts differently and you have to try them out and see what works well for you. I think that the script iron are the best because of the fact that they have C already in it and they are a higher dose verses OTC. But the low dose iron don't do the job if you are really anemic like I was and a low ferritin, mine was a 2. When I was anemic it took me 2 1/2 months to raise my levels in response to the supplements. That was when I was able to take the correct dose as prescribed. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread