It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

nycjane HB User
Mildly anemic but now ankles all swollen

I was diagnosed last week as being mildly anemic. Told to just come back in a month for another blood test. I am 49 and in good health otherwise.

Tonight when I got thome I see both ankles are swollen as if there is fluid around them. Could this be from anemia or maybe something else. I have also had leg cramps at night the last few nights.

I am scared something is really wrong. Thoughts?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Mildly anemic but now ankles all swollen

nycjane--It is not enough to be anemic and begin iron without investigating the reasons why. It is most commonly blood loss with iron deficiency anemia. Anemia is a symptom of another process going on in the body. I had to see the GYN for ultrasound and have an ablation procedure then off to the GI doc for and endo/colonoscopy. These test are standard to rule out the things that may cause the anemia.

Leg cramps are a symptom of anemia. I'm not sure about the swelling of ankles makes me think of a circulation issue. Everyone experiences different things and different symptoms are indicitive of different types of anemia. It very well may be from your anemia. Usually if you already have an underlying health condition it becomes worse with anemia. I would watch your salt intake, elevate your feet above your heart and ice if necessary and see how you do. If it persists I would bring this up to your doc and see what they say about it.

I wouldn't get up set at this point, after what I have learned. In the beginning I was really ill and scared. You are not at a life threatening point. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
(female)

nycjane HB User

You are right flowergirl. I am waiting for more blood test results which he says wil tell him why I am anemic. It's puzzling to me as I take a vitamin supplement and have for years. This is new since last summer. As to the ankle swelling - MD attributes it to Aleve which I have been taking for an inflamed hand (not sure what thast all about). I cut out the Aleva and voila - much better. Unfortunately my finger is worse LOL.

I left him a message this morning. I want to get to the bottom of things.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

nycjane--Are you still having periods, if so, are they heavy? It can also be related to the GI tract as well. It's good that the swelling problem is gone. I'ts good that you are following up on the mild anemia because it is a symptom of something going on. There is a lot of information on this board too. Keep us posted on your results. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 02-25-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
(female)

nycjane HB User

Just starting perimenopause, flflowergirl, so no connect there. Periods are starting to scatter. I have been reading the board and learning a lot. Didn't hear back from the MD so results must not be in yet, as he is good about returning calls.

I am anxious as I've alays been in very good health and as a matter of fact the anemia showed up on a blood test which he was doing for my joint swelling. I've been feeling well up till then. I've been tired but hey I live in NYC - we are all tired here

Jane

Closed Thread