It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

hannahhannah57 HB User
Do some just not absorb iron with iron supplements? The fluctutations are frightening

Sorry for the long post, I just need to get this out and maybe I will feel better.
I am really confused...Starting 2/7 my HGB was 6.5, then 6.2 the next week, then went to an 8, 2/19 ( was told by the nurse at my docs office). So I go 2/28 for check & OBGYN tells me no change from the week before, he tells me I was 8.9 the week before not an 8. I said your nurse told me I was an 8 and he said it was written in my chart I was a 8.9.(So I am a little confused there but guess either way i still have anemia) So he says we are ordering full bloodwork test since there has been no change, I mention I have been spotting pretty heavy and he almost ignores it and says we are ordering a full blood test on you. I am taking Ferrous Sulfate twice a day 100mg and prenatals.
I went for a 2nd opinion friday b/c frankly with the difference in what i was told about my levels and the dismissal of several symptons I told him about, including the severe spotting, I was a little angry. So 2nd much younger doctor is Internal medicine(my obgyn is close to retiring) takes blood as well and we go over a lot of possibilities of cause other than just the menstrual. This doc says he is encouraged it has increased and to keep doing what I am doing, add vitamin C to my iron and lets see when bloodwork comes back. He said some people just dont absorb iron supplements and they dont know why and if I dont they can do iron IV. Am I being stupid here, is all this normal, I am already stressed and dont feel well as it is, but my family is freaking out which is freaking me out. They feel they should have already researched further by now and why did it go so low in the first place? I resigned myself to my cause being what OBGYN said,heavy menstruals, but with my family worrying, now I worry and I am having anxiety attacks alot which does not help. I guess I just need reassurance from those that have been there that I am doing the right things. I should have blood results today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Do some just not absorb iron with iron supplements? The fluctutations are frighte

hannahhannah57--Your results are much better. Your body is responding to supplements or your Hgb numbers would not have gone up as they did, that is a very good sign. Do all that you can in order to absorb the supplements that you are on. It takes time to correct the blood levels when you are as low as you went. If the reason is your periods then it has probably been happening over a long period of time, that's how it gets so low. Your body adjusts to it and it goes undetected. But to know if this is indeed the reason, you have to have further testing i.e., GI work up to rule out those things too. Have you had that yet? It probably is your periods but testing is the proper course to take, then your mind can be at ease a little more. I hope you are on a high dose iron too. Good luck with your new results today, keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User
Re: Do some just not absorb iron with iron supplements? The fluctutations are frighte

did they check and see if your kidneys are working okay? that sometimes effects the iron.Or lacking in a hormone for the kidneys

Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
(female)

JJ1 HB User

I see a hematologist for my anemia. I am also frustrated that no one but me seems interested in "why" I am anemic and they just pump me up with another iron IV every six months when it gets low. On my own, I went to a gastroenterologist who suggested a colonoscopy and I suggested to him that maybe he should test for Celiac. I had to ask the hematologist if I was B-12 defiecient and she said she never tested for that and then ordered a test. All these came back fine and so still don't know the cause. They just write it off to heavy menstrual periods but I have had those all my life, so why am I now anemic? I mentioned in other posts that I believe there is some association with my anemia and the fact that I take a proton pump inhibitor (Nexium) for gastric reflux. A lack of stomach acid can affect the absorption of iron and other nutrients and anemia is even listed as a possible side effect of Nexium, but my doctors keep saying that they don't think it is the cause. I am working now towards reducing the menstrual bleeding (Mirena IUD or uterine ablation) and if I get better then we will know that was the cause.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

i think you need to see a endocine ( i think it is spelled right) doctor
they prb could tell why im pretty sure

Closed Thread