It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

hfm123 HB User
b12 level 427--Can this cause fatigue?

I was slightly anemic for a bit but that seems to have resolved. It did not appear to be iron related since my ferritin was 57.

I had blood work done recently to help figure out why I am so tired and have a dizziness thing happening. My CBC came back fine, lyme test was negative, and B12 came back in range at 427.

On looking around on the internet, it appears that some doctors think under 500 for B12 is when supplements should be taken. I have started with B12 and am hoping they will resolve my fatigue issue that is very negatively affecting my life.

Anyone know more about B12 levels and supplementation? If my fatigue is possibly related, how long should it take to get my level high enough that any lingering fatigue would be unrelated to b12?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Heather

Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: b12 level 427--Can this cause fatigue?

Hi Heather,
Absolutely a level of 427 can produce side effects such as fatigue, pins and needles in extremities, etc. The list goes on an on. Drs are just now figuring out that patients can be symptomatic at levels even as high as 600. I was having a terrible time at 323. I had muscle jerks, sleep disturbances, numb fingers and toes, a terrible hooting in my ear, heart palpatations. LOL, I was a mess.

Your best bet if they won't give you the injections is to get a good sublingual B and take it every day. You'll also want to make sure you're not low on folate. Those two deficiencies often go hand in hand.

And when you go to get the sublingual, try to find methylcobalamin or the dibencozide formulas instead of the cobalamin. The methylcobalamin and the dibencozide are easier forms for your body to process. Also, make sure to take a B complex. You don't want your b's otu of balance. And, finally, eating lots of potassium helps your body use the B12.

Dont get discouraged. It takes time. You may feel great one week, and terrible the next. The days you feel terrible are the days where your body is using that B12 to make repairs!

If you have any questions, I've been through it all.
Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
(female)

hfm123 HB User
Re: b12 level 427--Can this cause fatigue?

Thanks for the reply. I don't think my doctor will agree that my b12 is low since it is well within the range. She called to tell my that my labs looked fine and didn't mention anything about my b12.

I have started taking b-12 but it is the cyanacobalamin type. Will this not give me a good result? I will see if I can track down the methyl type--it seems a bit rarer in stores than the cyanaco.

How long does it take to raise b12 levels? I know everyone is different but is there a general idea? How high should I get my level? And, how do I get my family doctor to see that my symptoms could be from low b12?

Thanks!

Heather

Closed Thread