It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
(male)

samsam77 HB User
Fatigue: Brain Fog or Physical Exhaustion

30/m, anemia due to bleeding ulcer 4 weeks ago

So, I am back to work. Starting my second week at work and its tough. Slowly throughout the morning I can feel the pressure increasing in my forehead and my eyes begining to dry out and get itchy and red as i begin to fumble through work. After lunch, forget about it! I'm thinking more on how much frustration Im in and how hard it is to concentrate and the more I concentrate the more my head becomes stuffy then my work. Not only is all my blood in my stomach digesting my food but I've already been drained from the early morning tasks. The fatigue seems to set in somewhere between my eyes in my for head. Is this the fatigue everyone has been talking about??? I wonder because I wonder if this is just depression setting in. Arrrghhhh!

See I can't figure this whole thing out because everything below the neck feels ok. I can actually manage to go for jogs (I struggle), but I can do it, and sitting at the desk my body feels fine but my head is . Is this true for anyone else? I can't help but wonder why our bodies were designed so poorly. The way I look at it blood has to fight gravity to get to our brains, thus brain fog. Everything else (below the chest) flows with gravity. I wonder if this is why I get headaches but feel ok below the body. If this is true I wonder if my boss will let me bring in some monkey bars into work for me to hang upside down so I can get some work done!!!

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Fatigue: Brain Fog or Physical Exhaustion

samsam77--The symptoms are a little different for everyone. I had the dizzy head and very strange feelings that I really can't even describe to you. It does get better. One thing to warn you about is that using your energy i.e., jogging, well, it may result in fatigue or low numbers especially B-12. I think that your body needs all the energy for rebuilding purposes. My fatigue would be described as, I feel great one day, work real hard (physically in the hot sun, planting flowers or whatever), and can't make myself move for a week sometimes two thereafter. I had to learn not to push too much which is very hard for me. I actually wonder if I will ever feel the same again as I did pre anemia. I'm almost there though. Can you just imagine what it is like to have a heavy period on top of these feelings, be glad you don't. Hang in there it gets better. Oh, and there is a bar you can put in the doorway of your office and hang upside down on to restore the blood flow, it's easier than monkey barsFLFLOWERGIRL

The Following User Says Thank You to FLFLOWERGIRL For This Useful Post:
spoiled4610 (03-31-2012)
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

sfish2257 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
samsam77--The symptoms are a little different for everyone. I had the dizzy head and very strange feelings that I really can't even describe to you.
Thank God you said that, I was seriously thinking I was the only one who felt so strange. I feel almost dreamlike. It looks like alot of us worry about depression, I think its really hard to tell the difference between depression and fatigue . And I mean come on who wouldn't feel depressed feeling so crumby all the time. Listen to FLflowergirl, she gives some good advise. I've been on iron 2 weeks and no results yet but everyone does say it takes time. After 4 weeks though if I don't see any improvement I'm going to ask my doc about upping my dose. I've seen on here people taking 325mg 3 x a day, I'm only taking 110 2 x a day. Hang in there! Let ua know if hanging upside down works, heck I'd try anything at this point!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree, the fatigue differs from person to person. At work i would feel as though i've only had 2 hours sleep each night, worn out, couldn't wait to get home, my eyes would be tired, swollen, burning, no motivation, would get tension headaches more often.

It took me 2 years to get my ferretin from 8 to 61. The majority of that time was spent getting from 8 to 35 actually and i think once i hit the 40's there was no stopping it. I'm aiming at getting to 70 and staying there if i can.

For me, the downside was getting to 61 and still feeling tired and settling into the 'brain fog' department. I then found out that i did have a thyroid problem afterall. The difficult part is that so many of the low iron symptoms are very similar to that of other illnesses, particularly thyroid.

The sad part is that as some of these symptoms are felt by people with depression, many doctors have put people on antidepressants which doesn't help the situation. I think with low iron it simply takes time for a lot of us. Rarely do you see people on this board who have been on a supplement for a month and seen there ferretin rocket upwards. Most look at months or years. Although being on too low a dose of iron wont get you anywhere fast. Also don't go drinking caffeinated drinks within 2 hours of taking your iron supplements either as they will inhibit your iron absorbtion.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

audry and flowergirl how do you feel now your ferretin is up,shirley

Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
(male)

samsam77 HB User

Months to years... sheesh! I want a quick fix now! I wonder if I need to get my thyroid checked.

FFlowgrl have you ever considered a hysterectomy? I wonder if that would help you flatline your ferritin and help with your anemia. I could understand the frustration of being anemic and losing blood like that every month.

I wish you all the very best...

Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
(female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

I did an "all posts by" and noticed you also have insomnia. That could also explain the brain fog.
Insomnia's pretty common with anemia / low-iron.
You should get your thyroid checked too.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
(male)

samsam77 HB User

I was shocked when I found out I had a bleeding ulcer. But as time went on I understand that what ever was going on in my stomach probably had alot to do with some of the other things that were going on in my life (Always known as the tired one, hard to do stuff even when I really wanted to do things and i was excited about doing them, and always self monitering myself to see how I feel). It may have caused me to be anemic even before the ulcer which would explain why I would get so so exhausted and for me its hard to go to sleep when I am painfully tired. So maybe this has something to do with it. I don't think I will know the full extent of how this has been affecting me or for how long until I have "fully" recovered. You know I don't know what to expect in the future so I got to take it day by day.

Like many people have said, the symptoms are similar to depression but the reality is that I've always wanted to go out and do things but I've usually was too tired. I think that is the different between depression and these physical ailments. From what I understand, when your depressed not only do you not feel like doing anything but you don't really want to do it either. I always wanted to do things. Unfortunately I think that their is a quiet assumption among my family and friends that I am just a morose person which I began to believe myself. I hope that I can prove them wrong when I am better. But this bacteria may have been in my stomach for the past 15 years inhibiting the uptake of b-12. I was diagnosed 15 years ago with anemia and was scoped up both ways and tested and tested and nothing could come up. Couldn't find out how I was losing blood. Apparently I've never had the same sort of energy since they found out I was anemic 15 years ago. Of course all of this is coming to light after the fact that I had an ulcer.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

samsam - a previous partner of mine was bleeding internally and he ended up in hospital but they couldn't find out where he was losing the blood from. In the end they treated him for ulcers, even though they had not found any ulcers.

He then did a H-pylori (sp?) test and came up positive for that. It's believed that these bugs in the stomach cause the ulcers. He was treated for the H-pylori and was fine after that. Nobody even tested his iron levels back then, simply gave him a blood transfusion and a weeks stay in hospital. Apparently H-pylori is very common.

My mother spoke to a woman who was once anemic. She had so many internal tests done to find out where she could be bleeding from or what could be causing it and they never found a thing. Then one day a doctor, during one of those internal exams, found the tiniest hole/tear in one of her intestines i think it was. Once they patched this up she was fine and has never looked back since.

That is always my worry, that numerous doctors can perform tests, yet not find a thing, while all along there is something actually there.

Thyroid issues are common and it is believed that a lot of people are walking around with undiagnosed thyroid issues as the symptoms are similar to so many other conditions. For a lot of people their thyroid tests aren't even way out or off the scale and their doctor will say they are fine as the test came back "within range", yet even being slightly out can cause people to suffer symptoms.

On the other hand, long term low iron can affect the thyroid and once your ferretin goes up the thyroid will self correct if everything is ok with the thyroid. In my case my thyroid didn't self correct and that is when my doctor began looking into my thyroid test results a little more thoroughly.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

moommin - i feel much better than i did when my ferretin was at 8. When i got my new test results in february and found out i had reached 61 i was thrilled, but did wonder why i still felt a form of tiredness. It wasn't the same each day and some days i felt good, while other days doing simple things would overwhelm me and i felt tired in the head, not physically tired as when i had very low iron.

I have simply traded one form of tiredness for another now that i know i have a thyroid issue. In general however, i do have more energy than the low iron days and for the most part i am a whole lot more motivated and get more tasks completed.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

shirley--I was a 2 Ferritin and last count a 43 in 15 months time, so I guess that I'm over 50 now. I hope so anyway. I am feeling so much better just not the ~old normal~ yet. I think that must be contributed to my low ferritin. I can say this, each time my ferritin would rise I could tell you without a blood test, then I would test and the results did indeed reflect what I was feeling. I also have Hashi's, when that flairs up I get really tired (requires 10-12 hrs sleep) but it is a little different feeling of fatigue. I have learned what that feels like which is seperate from the fatigue that I was having with increased exercise and low ferritin. Very hard to know the difference until you experience both for a while. My hair loss is much better too but still shedding a little each day. Hope you are feeling better. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

audrey and flowergirl its nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel,flower girl i understand what you mean about the fatiege feeling,when your blood drops,it a feeling you cant explain, horable feeling, i get this feeling after a heavey period ,and yes i know my ferretin is in the 20s by the way that i feel,i should be joining you soon as im due to have embplization on 29th this month,all the best shirley

Old 04-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

shirley--I don't know if your anemic right now or not, but it only took me one month to get to the non-anemic stage after my ablation. My Hgb only got better every month. What a relief!!!!! You will be so happy to have fixed that problem. I forgot, what is that procedure again? Something that is strange is that since I hardly have any blood loss now, I still feel really bad when I get my period. Must be the hormones and all this time I though it was from heavy blood loss. I have Hashi's and I wonder if that can make you feel worse when having a period. Anyone know the answer to that? Good luck to you with your procedure, you will thank yourself for it in the end. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

flowergirl sorry diddnt get back to you problems posting,the procedure that im going to have is uterine artery embolisation for fibroids,i spelt it wrong in my last post, thats another problem i have cant spell any more,not that i was good at spelling anyway,all the best shirley

Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, I was wondering what the procedure was for, I forgot. Good luck to you with your procedure. Keep us posted and let us know how you get along. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread