It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

melani87 HB User
Red face Help, experts! Anemia with high monocyte count ?

Wow - you are an educated bunch. I hope you can help me, as my OB/GYN is in surgery all day today and was not available to interpret my labwork I got this a.m.

SO..I've had years of heavy periods and this last one was the worst - I went to her and she took one look at me and said I was anemic. Brainfog, weak, white lips and inner eyelids, racing heart, ringing ears.....Sono from today shows a small uterien polyp...no biggie. I'm most worried about my blood!

I still don't know what to make of my bloodwork - All low : Hemoglobin 8, Hematocrit 24, RBC 3.03, WBC 2.0...but these were high : RDW 16.4 and Monocytes 12. I thought Monocytes were White blood cells? How can my WBC be low and my monocytes high ? Is this part of anemia, or something else?

Also, how long does it usually take to build the Hemoglobin back up ? They started me on Repliva, but I have GERD and worried the iron will hurt my stomach? What a mess.

Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Help, experts! Anemia with high monocyte count ?

melanie73--What I can tell you is that when one of the three RBC, Hgb & Hct are below normal range you are considered anemic. The RDW goes H with anemia. I have no other ideas on the rest of your labs, sorry, no expert here, just a recovering patient.

It takes a couple to several months to rebuild Hgb to normal non anemic levels. This also depends on the cause, and if the problem gets fixed or not, and how severe the anemia is in the first place. You have to put in more iron than you lose in other words. It took me 7 months and I have two reasons that I know of as a major cause of my anemia with several minor things in the mix. Keep us posted on your results. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
(female)

melani87 HB User

Thanks for your response! I've had the whole day to research this on the internet and I think I scared myself silly! This board has helped me realize that I'm not crazy (or depressed...or "weak").

Sounds like we have several issues in common - PPI (Nexium) and obgyn wants to do an ablation in 2 weeks which I'm seriously considering. I'm already learning from your experiences.

Hopefully obgyn will get back to me tomorrow with a plan - thanks for your insight!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Melanie73--At times like this you really should stay off the internet, not this board of course! I would wait for an answer from your doctor before you continue your research. k. On the other hand, I was told by all of my doctors to stay away from research. I thought I was saving my own life for a while. If it wasn't for my research I would still be anemic, and my Hematologist would still be saying come back in a week, month......... I asked a year ago if I was having malabsorption from PPI's. The Hema doc said, if you want malabsorption have a gastric bypass, which I do not need or want. What disease do you think you have?!!!! He's just a clever guy.

How long have you been on Nexium? My malabsorption is from long term use, 8 years. I have a Hiatal Hernia that they found when I had my endoscopy. I just found out that PPI's don't really help with a HH.

I also had 7 polyps removed in the uterous at the time of ablation. They were not detected with the transvaginal us I had no idea. The GYN thinks this is the cause of my heavy periods. They have been heavy all of my life, but this is the first time that I have been anemic. I wasn't anemic just three years ago. I think this was a BIG problem and I didn't realize it for a long time. I don't know to what degree the Nexium is causing malabsorption either. Good luck with your doc tomorrow. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

melani87 HB User
Re: Transfusion ??

Wow - I finally got a call from my obgyn this morning. She said I was down by a least a unit of blood, and recommended me going to the hospital to get a transfusion?? I immediately told her I'd rather wait it out. If I still have the brainfog by Monday surely there's a way to get my husband's blood versus a strangers? I know there are lots of compatibility issues, etc... She's leaving it up to me. Has anyone done that and does it help?

On the Gyn side, she said the sono showed cysts on my ovaries - I'm thinking the ablation wouldn't address that, right? (I had so many questions for her, I forgot this one). That sounds like there is a chance that I could have the ablation and the ovaries could still trigger heavy bleeding? Still moving forward with it because I live in fear of my next cycle....

Curious what the long-timer's here have run into. I'm so glad I found you all!!

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Transfusion ??

melanie73--I don't know about the blood transfusion part. First, I don't understand your WBC'c, what did she say about that? I will share what my doctor told me about blood transfusion. My Hgb was 8.5 L with a Hct of 27.3 L close to your numbers although my white counts were normal. My PCP said, if I was his wife he would not let me receive a transfusion. He went on to say that they usually don't require that until the Hgb is around a 7. So with that information I would at the least get a second opinion by your PCP or whomever you are seeing. It is not without risk. Many of my family members have received transfusions and they all have been completely fine. It's when there is a complication that it's no longer okay, but then it's too late. I know I was able to bring my numbers up quickly within 3 months (12.9 hgb) not too bad with heavy periods included. I had complication afterwards so I became anemic again. My point is that it doesn't take that long if you stop the bleeding it would even be less time.

The most important thing right now is to get iron into you. You need to be on the right type and amount of iron with Vit-C already added. I would say a script that is easily tolerated. And a good multi vitamin to help with the rebuilding of blood cells. If you are deficient in any other things this would help too. I took Poly iron 150 X2 daily=300mgs of iron. Did you have your Ferritin and Vitamin B-12, Floate checked as well? If not, these test should be ran, simple blood tests.

About the ablation. When the cells in the uterus are burned out they are no longer there to receive hormone from the ovaries. What little amount of cells are left will interact with the hormones to cause you to have a light/er period. I don't think the ovaries and cysts matter in that respect. I have a cyst on one of my ovaries too.

Something that a friend of mine did was to go on BCP for a month before the surgery to stop the blood loss and build the Hgb before having the ablation, so I'm throwing that out there for you to ponder. My Hgb was 10.9 when I had the surgery, it took me 7 months to decide to have it so in the meantime I had plenty of time to rebuild my blood with supplements. I would take a little time research your options because there are other things like the Mirena that you may also want to consider. That would be my second option, I like what I went with. At least you have options, I wouldn't make a quick decision without consulting other doctors at least your PCP. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
(female)

melani87 HB User

HI - thanks for your reponse FLFLOWERGIRL!

OBGYN thought the high monocytes were due to a concurrent "viral syndrome" - i.e. red blood count down as well as fighting off an infection. I have 2 small kids at home - who knows what I could fighting off at any given point. She was not particularly worried about the WBC's and only recommended the transfusion because I whined so mightily about my flu-like fatigue and fogginess! I found out today that my insurance will only cover a portion of the ablation (taking it from an expected $30 copay to almost $700). GAH! Why is insurance so expensive if they pay for nothing.

Interestingly, I've been seeing my regular acupuncturist who's treatments gave me tons more energy within hours. She also said that I don't metabolize Vitamin C or iron the way I should and wondered why (like you) my Obgyn hasn't run other blood tests, like hormone levels.

I'll definitely ask for ferritin, b12, folate and hormone panels at my next draw - great advice.

Hope all is well with everyone !

Old 04-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

melanie--Sorry about your insurance situation. I suppose that it's all about the type of plan you get. I know my ablation was a small amount, don't remember exactly. Believe me if it were a lot I would remember. I know that on my old insurance I had a 100 co/pay for the surgery center now on new insurance it is 500 per day. Thank goodness I've had all of those tests completed. Are you going to have the procedure anyway?

Glad that you have found a form of relief from the fatigue. Are the iron supplements helping yet? Hope you absorb at a higher rate than what I've been doing. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
(female)

ChickieLou HB User

My acupuncturist has helped me so much in the weeks since my anemia treatment started, I can't say enough positive about the whole experience. She has helped my anxiety so much. I was nearly terrified out of my mind when I had tachycardia in February. My sleep was destroyed with panic attacks ever since until I started going to her. Nowadays, I might have a brief bout of anxiety the evening of my treatment, and then I am great the rest of the time.

She also claims she is treating my anemia, but of course I have no way to prove results here since I am iron supplementing. And she most certainly is treating my lower back pain from a herniated disk, because I can feel tangible results there too. I love that she treats me like a whole patient, not just a body part or a blood container. My line of work is in clinical drug trials, so I am a great believer in science. But I am not a skeptic when it comes to this. It works, but I can't explain why, so I just say "it's magic".

Last edited by ChickieLou; 04-16-2008 at 01:16 AM.

Closed Thread