It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

steveamy0503 HB User
Help understand my blood test results...please!

Hi, I'm new to the board and just had a few questions about my blood test. I just got them today and they are as follows: Red blood cell count Low 3.65. Hemoglobin Low 9.1. Hematocrit Low 28.2. MCV Low 77.4. MCH Low 24.9. RDW HIGH 15.1. Platelet Count High 407. DHEA Sulfate Low 28. Bun/Creatinine Ratio High 23. Folate Low 3.9.

Sorry for all of the info!! But it's a little scary. It seems like everything is out of sync! Does anyone have any explanation? Before I had these results I completed a saliva (hormone test) last week, so before the doctor acts on these test she wants those results also. But she did give me a B12 shot and a prescription for Niferex until we get the other results back.

One more thing.......the doctor seemed to be concerned for the reason that I might be so anemic. No after doing a little research on the web I'm a little concerned also. How do they usually tell why you are anemic?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read all of this!

Amy

Last edited by steveamy0503; 04-29-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Another question!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Help understand my blood test results...please!

steveamy0503--When you have Iron Deficiency Anemia your H & H are always Low out of range, also, the MCV, MCH, MCHC are Low with the Platelets and RDW both High. Microcytic cells as reflected in the MCV, Mean Corepuscular Volume (value below 80) are often results of IDA. When I saw all the same type of results it scared me too! There are also many causes for this type of anemia. This can be caused most commonly by menstruation or due to disease. Anemia is a symptom not a disease in itself and a cause has to be determined by your doc. This can also be in the gastro tract and there are tests such as colonoscopy, endoscopy and fecal occult blood to rule out blood loss or other reasons.

B-12 and/or Folate are usually due to insufficient absorption which can also be from many causes. PA is just one Autoimmune condition that leads to B-12 deficiency from lack of IF, Intrinsic Factor.

Niferex is the same iron that I have been taking without any s/e's. Mine is under the name Poly Iron 150 it is a well tolerated iron so you got lucky there. Other irons can be very hard to take.

Your doc will run tests to determine what type of anemia you have and request further testing to find the cause. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
(female)

steveamy0503 HB User
Re: Help understand my blood test results...please!

Thank you for your response. That helps!

Closed Thread