It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
(female)

help wanted :( HB User
Finally some numbers .... Confused

So i got my blood test results today, only spoke to the receptionist but she said everything came back normal. i asked about my ferrtin numbers and she said my serum ferretin is 67, which is good... right? so obviusly the ferrous sulphate did the trick. but if im not aneamic and my ferretin is good, why do i feel like death? im completly exhausted all the time, and i cant walk up a flight of stairs withouit fighting for breath. if i get a bit cold my hands and feet seem to drain of blood. this is why i thought my ferretin would still be low.
i just dont know what else could be casuing all the symptom i have. Can low B12 give you the same symtoms? ive had very heavy painful periods for years and they still are heavy so it just made sense to me to have low ferretin or be aneamic. im so confused now.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Finally some numbers .... Confused

If your ferretin is at 67 that is excellent and you should be feeling great, unless there is something else that is wrong and the low ferretin was simply a symptom of that other illness.

In my case i had a thyroid condition which i only found out about at the same time i got told my ferretin had finally hit 61. I was told i had Hashimoto's and my doctor referred me on to another doctor who would treat my thyroid.

I couldn't understand why if my ferretin was 61 why i daily felt as though i'd been hit by a bus, was hardly getting through my days at work and felt as though my head was in a fog and my eyes began getting a 'swollen' type of sensation and they would hurt. Even when my ferretin was down at 8 i had never felt quite as bad as this and i was at a loss as to what was going on.

In the end i found out my adrenal function was bad and this definitely causes tiredness, then my thyroid situation wasn't helping either and lastly they found out my pancreas wasn't making many enzymes to help digest protein and this would add to tiredness, especially after meals as i'd be bloated and feeling yuk and just wanted to nap. After starting a series of meds i'm a lot better and that 'hit by a bus' feeling has gone. I still have off days, but that's due to my thyroid and i've only been on med's for a month so it will take a little while to adjust dosages etc. On the whole i'm vastly improved, just need a bit of 'tweaking'.

In your case, i'd say definitely something else is causing how you are feeling. I'm not sure how B12 affects things as funnily enough that is one thing i always had good levels of. I would most definitely keep looking into it as feeling constantly tired for no valid reason is not right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

thanks audrey. i honsetly just feel like im barely alive anymore and im dissapointed ive got no asnwers from the blood work. its just not right to feel like this. im 20 years old and feel like im about to die.
i have severe (undiagnosed) digestive problems so i think all of my problems may be conneted to that, i suppose thats why b12 makes sense now. but im just so shocked that i have all the symptoms of aneamia and low ferretin but i dont have it now. i aslo had my thyroid tested and as far as i no that was normal. i will get the numbers next week hopefully.
i have to start finding some answers

Last edited by help wanted :(; 05-16-2008 at 06:35 AM.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Low B12 has many of the same symptoms as anemia. It can leave you breathless, with heart palpatations, fatigued, with poor memory and mood swings.

Jill

Old 05-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

thanks jill. is it possible to have low b12 and have all the anemia symtpoms becasue of it, but not actually be aneamic or have low ferretin?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

Yes- I have low b12 and I have all the symptoms of anemia. I can tell when I am low. I think I have pernicious anemia caused by low b12. Look this up. I am being tested next week. I need to be off b12 for 2 weeks to see a problem.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #7
(female)

this is why ive been asking these questions becasue ive been reading up on low b12 and pernicious anemia. think ill have to ask my doctor about it next. so i could definetly have low b12 and feel anemic when my iron is fine? that would make sense as to why i have all the amemia symtpoms when i cant find any other illneses that could be casuing them? surely breathlessness, sensitive to cold, fatigue etc are only symptoms of a small number of illnesses?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

help wanted - did you get thyroid results? they kept saying my thyroid was fine, then my new doctor said it was out by a little bit. It wasn't until they did the thyroid antibodies test that i came back with extremely high antibodies and was told i had Hashimoto's.

I didn't have many of the thyroid symptoms either. My main symptoms were overwhelming tiredness, even after a lot of sleep and my hair shedding and my hands and feet were always warm. Now tiredness and hair shedding can be iron, thyroid, hormonal and who knows what else.

If they did a full thyroid test then you should post your figures on the thyroid board or on here and i'm sure people would help you out.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #9
(female)

[B]audrey, iwas told my thyroid was fine... i think they did ts3 and 4 or somtehing like that? i dont really no anything about it, sorry.
i went back to the doctor today, she seemed to dismiss everything i said, she thinks the tiredness and physical symptoms are a result of my anxiety and depression and has put me on anti depressents. when infact my physical problems started long before the anxiety and depression, they came becasue i was feeling so down about feeling so ill for so long.
i mentioned low b12 and she said she didnt think id have it becasue my blood count results were fine. i also said id like to get my hormones tested becasue theyve always been heavy and painful ( im on the pill no so theyre better but starting to get heavier again and i spot in between) and she said my hormones wouldnt be casuing my physical symptoms and theyd be consistent anyway becasue of the pill. she wants to discuss changing types of the pill on my next visit.
the only thing she was willing to say i mite have was post viral fatigue. but it didnt sudeelny start after a virus, this is a gradul thing over years.
i was told all my results were fine, but my ceoliac results havnt come back yet so im still waiting for that.

so, im giving the anti depressants a go and going back in 3 weeks, if theyve magically made all my physical illnesses go away the the doctors right, but if the much more likely scenario of me going back in 3 weeks and still feeling as ill as i do now then welll... im right. and ill have to fight for some more tests.

its so frustrating feeling this ill and knowing there is something casuing it, but no one beliveing me and nothing i can do to make myself better.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you have a copy of your test results? Are you able to post your thyroid results? I was told for 10 years that my thyroid was fine. In the end it was my thyroid which was causing everything. It is also the cause my menstrual cycles went crazy. I was also bleeding heavily and had a lot of inbetween spotting and immense hair shedding. I was also told to go on the pill by my gp, but i tried 3 different brands of BCP and they all gave me varying side effects. One gave me such bad depression i just wanted to end my life, but once i got off it i was so much better. Are you sure the brand of pill you are on isn't contributing to your side effects and general well being? Are you taking a good quality multi vitamin B? as the pill depletes B vitamins.

I spoke recently to my previous doctor who helped treat my low iron and discovered the thyroid condition. He said that all the things i have eg:hormonal imbalance, hair shedding, digestion and malabsorbtion problems and adrenal fatigue are very common with thyroid disorders.

Your are correct though, feeling so ill for a long period would cause depression and even anxiety. Both my previous doctor and my new thyroid doctor both agreed that thyroid issues lead to a state of anxiety, depression, immense tiredness and fatigue. Low iron or anemia will do same.

You have to be careful that an antidepressant wont simply mask your symptoms and make you think you are better when in reality you are not.

Hormone testing shouldn't be done while you are on the pill if you want a precise estimate of where you stand. Hormone tests are best done using saliva as blood tests are not accurate as your hormones change throughout the day. I did a saliva test which started at 6am and finished at 10pm. It gave a very good indication of how things stood.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 AM   #11
(female)

audrey, unfortunatley i dont have a copy of my numbers. i wont let the anti depressants do that, i really dotn think theyre going to make any difference to my physical problems anyway, but seeing as the doctor thinks the depression/anxierty is whats making me ill i have to prove her wrong. once ive done that ill push for further testing. thyroid, b12 and hormones are all on my list. i dont know if there is anything else worth testing. ive got a small lump infront of my ear/top of my jaw whci i think is related to a jaw problem but ive been a too scared to mention it yet. ill have to get that looked at.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User

help wanted- I am having similar problems finding out what is wrong with me too. I had low b12 and have been on iron for 1 month. I feel no relief. Went to Dr. today and she wants me to go back to a rhemy. I just want an answer. I feel so bad.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #13
(female)

KW i know exactly how you feel. i have to prove the doctor wrong about the it being in my head and then push for more tests. could it not be your low ferretin making you feel so bad?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi all like you all iv been to hell and back,going on 5 years, doc sais all stress,put me on meds,sent me to stress class,said he never heard of half the symptoms i had,he finally did full blood count,said low ferretin ,found out i had fibroids,i thought great now i can get my self better,had embolisation three weeks ago,to shrink fibroid,had to go to see another doc becouse i wasnt well,she looked at my notes and symptoms and said she thinks its silent migrains,light sesnsativity ,head pressure,noise,brain fog sensory overload,very tired,so yes it could be more than one thing going on,its finding out what ,all the best shirley

Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

help wanted - Number 1 rule..... ALWAYS get copies of ALL your test results. I can't stress that more than enough.

Your tests results are your health history and one day when you grow sick and tired of your doctor telling you that you are fine, when you clearly aren't, these test results are handy when you visit a new and hopefully more helpful doctor.

My current doctor could tell a lot was not right with my health from my results from 1998, when my then doctor believed i was perfectly fine.

moommin - even once my ferretin rose to 61, i was living with quite a few of the symptoms that you are experiencing, especially brain fog and immense tiredness. I shouldn't have been experiencing this with such a high ferretin. In the end the symptoms were linked to bad adrenal function and high thyroid antibodies, also inability to digest protein correctly.

Once i began med's for my adrenal function the bad brain fog disappeared.

I used to solely focus on my ferretin, but now i realise how bad that was as i realise that in majority of people's cases, low iron is often a symptom of something else.

Closed Thread