It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kw123 HB User
Treating low Ferritin

Is it safe to treat just low ferritin with iron supplement? I am not anemic. My ferritin is 12?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Treating low Ferritin

Yes, it is safe and probably a good idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

KW123--A value of 10 means that you have no iron left in your stores, so it would be very important to build them to a healthy level. I would think that you would want to try to get this number between 50-70.

I am not anemic along with many others here that DO treat a low ferritin through iron supplementation. You just have to watch your ferritin levels so that you don't get iron overload. This is a very hard thing to happen to people that are already having a problem with low ferritin and/or anemia and it rarely happens I am told. This is more of a case of HH that is a hereditary disease or someone that receives large amounts of iron through IV. and even they do not seem to hold on to iron from what I have read here. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

kw123 - have your doctors run a blood test to check whether you are low in anything else other than simply ferretin? One of my gp's only checked my iron levels and a couple of other basic things. It was only when i got worried about my hair loss and inability to get my my ferretin above 14 that i found myself a new doctor and he check a multitude of things. My Vitamin D and iodine were both lower than low, my zinc could have been better too.

The moment my new doctor saw how low my vitamin D was he got me taking supplements to boost it back up fast as he said it can lead to possibility of getting an auto immune disease later on.

The time i've spent on here i've come to realise that if your low iron is due to diet, with the help of supplements, it will rise fast. If it takes ages to get your ferretin boosted then your low iron is usually due to something else. In my case my malabsorbtion is due to my pancrease not digesting protein effectively due to insufficient enzymes.

Most definitely keep taking an iron supplement and have repeat blood tests to see where your levels are at. Don't leave repeat testing for longer than 3 months.

Closed Thread