It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

dolly1 HB User
why is my stomach not absorbing iron

why is my stomach not absorbing iron the dr is sending me to see a stomach dr and she has given me folic acid and sovate and i have to have b1 injections should i be worried

Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: why is my stomach not absorbing iron

It could be any number of things from gluten intolerance, internal bleeding, insufficient stomach enzymes to digest certain foods.....

At least your doctor is doing something for you and not just sticking you on iron supplements, which is what a lot of doctors do.

When i first found out i was anemic, my doctor didn't do anything, just told me to take some iron pills. Two years and a good doctor later, i found out i had a thyroid condition as well as a pancreatic problem where there weren't sufficient enzymes to digest protein in my diet. All of this led to my iron levels not being able to stay put.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
(female)

dolly1 HB User

thanks audrey i too have a thyroid problem underactive and have tablets for that too ,do you think it is related

Old 07-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Mine is more underactive, but swings both ways at times as i have Hashimoto's. When i phoned the doctor who helped treat my low iron, he said it's common to see malabsorbtion of iron with a thyroid condition.

My lack of pancreatic enzymes only made my thyroid worse. The protein would ferment due to not being able to be digested properly. This would lead to inflammation of my thyroid. That's what my current doctor, who is treating my thyroid, says. I'm on prescription enzymes with all my main meals. I notice a difference, my stomach feels better and not bloated after meals. I'm hoping they will also help in the absorbtion of protein and iron.

The thyroid is tricky in in itself as so many other things can go wrong or be a symptom of your thyroid condition.

Closed Thread