It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

jlh1002 HB User
Anemia due to Heavy Monthly Bleeding - Endometrial Ablation?

Posted this on the women's health area as well but I would appreciate any opinions from those of you that have experienced anemia due to heavy monthly bleeding. I have severe bleeding each month, which has gone on for many years. My Ferritin is at 17. I am taking iron supplements but my endo indicated that they may not make a huge difference if I continue to bleed so heavy each month. After several ultrasounds to rule out major issues, I am now considering an ablation to hopefully stop my periods. For those of you that went through this process, did it stop you bleeding? How was the recovery. Wondering if I am just better off doing a hysterectomy instead (I am 43 and done with kids).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Anemia due to Heavy Monthly Bleeding - Endometrial Ablation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh1002 View Post
Posted this on the women's health area as well but I would appreciate any opinions from those of you that have experienced anemia due to heavy monthly bleeding. I have severe bleeding each month, which has gone on for many years. My Ferritin is at 17. I am taking iron supplements but my endo indicated that they may not make a huge difference if I continue to bleed so heavy each month. After several ultrasounds to rule out major issues, I am now considering an ablation to hopefully stop my periods.

For those of you that went through this process, did it stop you bleeding? How was the recovery. Wondering if I am just better off doing a hysterectomy instead (I am 43 and done with kids).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I had an ablation 1 yr ago June due to moderate anemia 8.5 hgb and a 2 ferritin. I can happily report that this is one of the best things that I have done for myself. I had a lot of monthly bleeding (thought that it was normal for me) and 7 polyps that were not showing on the transvaginal US, so they were found at the time of my procedure and removed. My GYN thinks this is the cause of my heavy periods. It has cut my 3 day period down to 1 day of light spotting. I could get away with using nothing at all, but do for good hygiene. What a relief! The recovery time and the procedure were a ~piece- of- cake~ for me. The day of the surgery is really the only time that you need to recover. You can't lift heavy things for a few days after. I did have heart palpitations due to my anemia and cramping from the polyps mostly, but nothing advil couldn't handle. There was a slight watery discharge and light spotting for a couple weeks afterwards and I was done with it. I am 47 yrs of age and do not want a hysterectomy at this time. I was told if it didn't work then I had to have a hysterectomy. My ablation was a great success. Oh! I almost forgot I've recently started getting migraine headaches that I have never had before. Rarely would I ever get a headache before, perhaps it is a peri or meno symptom as a result of ablation. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I have not had one myself but I know many who have and most have been happy with the results.

Another option is the Mirena IUD. My cousin has had that done and she gets little to no bleeding each month and it can be done right in the office.

I know many women that are happy with the Mirena also.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

ChickieLou HB User

jlh1002, I am happy being on Microgestin FE for the time being to control my periods (which have put me in a perpetual state of false pregnancy so I haven't had a period since March even though I stop for the 7 days every month). My GYN says it's fine. My PCP says she would not keep me on the pill for too long at my age.

I am going to wait until my annual gyn/PAP exam next January and discuss ablation at that time. For now, I view this year as the year to get over my anemia and get that nasty part of my life behind me. I can't express in words to you how much better I feel. I can walk up the hill behind my house without nearly passing out. How did I live like that and think it was normal?

FLFLOWERGIRL, as a migraine sufferer for many years I think your sudden onset could be hormonal. My best friend has these kinds of migraines. But also explore orthopedic causes. It turns out my sudden migraines were caused by a pillow I got very attached to getting old and worn out. The migraines would happen at any time not just when I woke up so this never occurred to me that it might be my pillow. I have always had one shoulder slightly lower then the other and the combination of that and an old pillow (or the wrong pillow) would set me up for a migraine. I know now if I feel like I am going into a migraine cycle to sleep on a buckwheat pillow for a few nights. I also switched to a trackball on the computer because that's the side of my low shoulder Just one idea.

The good news is, the hormones in the pill have not made my migraines worse, which I worried about.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

ChickieLou--Thanks for you thoughts. Yes, I couldn't agree more myself about hormones and migraine. I'm sure that it is related to my ablation. I think I'll call that doc and see what she says. I have been quite lucky not to have suffered with headaches and migraines before. My husband has migraines which have to be controlled through prophylactic care. Therefore, both of my children have inherited this pattern as well. They have special meds to abort them which I have tried and they do not touch this type of headache/migraine. It works great if it is a different type though. My daughter says it does nothing for her PMS one's either. I can't take advil because of my stomach. This last month I took 2 extra strength Tylenol and it bothered my stomach too. I use a cervical ice pack and that helps a great deal. I don't know what else I can do other than ask the doc for a script of something else maybe Toradol which they probably won't give. Any suggestions? FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 07-13-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

ChickieLou HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL, I guess I am fortunate in that I take Advil during these cycles and can knock it back before I get to the really sick, urping stage. And I may be kidding myself with the neck thing because both my mother and sister get the aura-type migraines. I get the classic type and the reason I think it might be my neck and shoulder is that my husband (though quite lame at it) or my massage therapist can rub certain spots on my neck and shoulder and ward it off entirely.

My best friend who gets the hormonal type swears by Imitrex but she still gets them unfortunately.

The potential for the ablation to cause them has me very curious. I was wondering if having an ablation would help my estrogen imbalance or have any effect at all on hormones because the Pill is currently helping my hormones. That part is sort of nice about the Pill. But as I said I am looking into an ablation next year. In your experience, do you feel the ablation has had any other effects (other than migraine) on hormones?

Last edited by ChickieLou; 07-13-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChickieLou--Thanks for the info. Truly, I'm afraid to try Imitrex. My DH tried it and it made his much worse but he's a whole different story. I just don't do well with meds at all. When they gave me BP meds when I was anemic it made my stomach hurt really bad. The doctor didn't believe me, he thought it was the iron and I argued my point but didn't get far. I have to do something maybe it will have to be advil but then that can cause bleeding and we know where that leads........

I really think that the ablation caused my migraines. I do need to follow up and ask the doc, I'm sure she will say it's peri menopause LOL. I don't think that she will say she has caused it. I have read that by having an ablation, it's a trade off of new symptoms. No longer anemic, but immediate peri menopause/menopause or early menopause including symptoms. Also, it can hide a newly forming cancer and can hide until advanced stages before being discovered. You know I didn't research this before I had it done because (I was too ill) andI was not having a Hysterectomy, this was my alternative. I was told I had to stop the blood loss or else so I did it. It's still the best thing (even with the migraines, which might have come on anyway because of my age LOL) that I have done in a long time for myself. I am still all for ablations!!!! FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread