It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

petal2001 HB User
am i anemic?

I've always felt tired and drained during the afternoons and have to resort to sugary snacks (cannot drink caffine to keep me alert, as i then cannot sleep)
I have been a vegetarian for 13 years and wondering if I am missing something in my diet, or if im anemic. Does anybody else have a solution?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: am i anemic?

You could be anemic but there is really no point in trying to "fix it" without knowing because there are different types of anemia. It could be a B12 issue, it could be an iron issue. If it is B12, all the iron tablets in the world won't make you feel better. Same is true in reverse. Also, you would hate to take iron if you don't need it. It can be toxic to take if you are not deficient.

So, if you even suspect you are anemic, you should have your doctor run a CBC at your next visit. Also ask him/her to check your B12, ferritin, folate, and zinc levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

ellebelle HB User

I was a vegetarian for awhile and my doctor suggest i either take supplements or start eating more meat. I am also anemic, but i take multivitamins with iron. They make me sick to my stomach, but if i cut them in half and take them at different times a day with food, i am usually okay

Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

petal2001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle View Post
I was a vegetarian for awhile and my doctor suggest i either take supplements or start eating more meat. I am also anemic, but i take multivitamins with iron. They make me sick to my stomach, but if i cut them in half and take them at different times a day with food, i am usually okay
thanks for your reply, i have found a vegetarian supplement with advice from my pharmacist x

Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
(female)

petal2001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You could be anemic but there is really no point in trying to "fix it" without knowing because there are different types of anemia. It could be a B12 issue, it could be an iron issue. If it is B12, all the iron tablets in the world won't make you feel better. Same is true in reverse. Also, you would hate to take iron if you don't need it. It can be toxic to take if you are not deficient.

So, if you even suspect you are anemic, you should have your doctor run a CBC at your next visit. Also ask him/her to check your B12, ferritin, folate, and zinc levels.
thanks for ur reply i will go to see my doctor for a test if the vegetarian supplments my pharmacist advised me to take dont help x

Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

petal2001--Iron supplements should not begin until you know what type of anemia you have if ANY. Anemia is a symptom of another process going on in the body, it is not a disease in itself. Other things can have the same symptoms of anemia. For example; I went to the doctor with what I though was Anemia and it turned out to be Hashimotos Thyroiditis. Taking iron before being prescribed can also skew iron testing if you do decide to get tested. You need to know what your iron levels are because it can become a cycle for you. You need a plentiful storage. Just food for thought. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread