It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

anonymouswreck HB User
What additional problems does your anemia cause?

Besides the weakness and fatigue and dizziness, what other problems have come up for you that the anemia has caused? Heart problems? Stomach problems?

Thanks!

Last edited by anonymouswreck; 08-22-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ashley9045 HB User
Re: What additional problems does your anemia cause?

Hello,
For myself, I will list my symptoms:

Horrible Fatigue
Dizziness
Weakness in my legs at times
Brain fog
Stomach Problems-but this may be from the iron we take for anemia

I pretty much never know how I am going to feel day to day, the worst thing is the exhaustion but this partially comes from menopause too, so I have a double whamy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

When I was anemic, one of my biggest issues was tachycardia (rapid heart rate). I had it almost all the time, especially in the mornings.

The other problem I had, besides the fatigue, was a mental lack of motivation. It really impacted my job performance and I also didn't do a lot of things with my kids on the weekends because I just had no energy or stamina. So before I even tried to do anything, it all just seemed so overwhelming that I sat in the house a lot.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
(male)

Live to fish HB User

Ashley,
how do you put up with the brain fog? I going on 2 months now and ubable to work. My Dr just put me on Cerefolin ( 1 wk )for the brain fog but I'm not sure how long it takes to work.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
(female)

anonymouswreck HB User

Thanks for your answers everyone! I'm going in for a blood test to see if I have anemia, but my symptoms are definitely very similar to yours. Especially the jello legs part!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Tachycardia, shortness of breath, hair loss

Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
When I was anemic, one of my biggest issues was tachycardia (rapid heart rate). I had it almost all the time, especially in the mornings.

The other problem I had, besides the fatigue, was a mental lack of motivation. It really impacted my job performance and I also didn't do a lot of things with my kids on the weekends because I just had no energy or stamina. So before I even tried to do anything, it all just seemed so overwhelming that I sat in the house a lot.
I could have written this nearly. I feel terrible guilt for being so sick for so long without knowing it. I haven't been there for my child. I have let so many things go-my home etc. I have become a hermit. I simply don't have the energy and quite frankly it has turned into major agoraphobia. I sit at my desk all day at work FULL of anxiety so bad that the muscles in my body are tense all day.

I also have abnormal heartbeats and have had to go to the hospital for dehydration in the past. I needed an IV once. (I have had heat stroke related symptoms.)

I have so many other health issues, quite frankly it is hard to say which is solely due to anemia. I have had dizziness upon standing from sitting or from laying down--or standing from stooping. I have had shortness of breath so bad that I nearly had to go to the hospital multiple times. I feel generally like someone who has been missing oxygen. I have muscle spams deep in my calves and upper back/neck.

I have been anemic for many years. I didn't know how serious it was as I was younger. I also quite frankly thought that it was much worse to take iron as the chronic constipation I deal with while NOT TAKING iron was too much to bear to think about adding another reason why I couldn't go to the bathroom. It is now so bad that I am not taking my iron again daily as I can't go even though I am on prescription stool softeners and laxatives. I have changed type of iron as well, so let's see how that goes.

A lot of us tend to also seem to have GERD (or acid reflux disease) and some of us also have a hiatal hernia (I have both) so there might be some correlation as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
(female)

MandyPandy HB User

I've had a lot of symptoms over the years that even though I did not realize they were anemia are now turning out to most likely be the anemia.

For me the main ones have been:
Extreme fatigue and tiredness including lack of motivation to do anything
headaches and migraines
trouble breathing (thought it was asthma acting up but it was not)
brain fog
muscle pain
trouble sleeping
depression
anxiety
extremely pale - when i went to the ER the whites of my eyes were even blue looking.
painful legs like restless leg syndrome
rapid heart beat
feeling like i was going to black out at times, and almost shaky like if you had low blood sugar...
heart feeling like it was going to beat out of my chest when I would walk up stairs.

It has gotten to the point that I have missed almost 3 months of work over it and have almost had to quit my job because it because so debilitating.

Amanda

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
(female)

nervousgal HB User

I have GERD and anemia as well. Which comes first - does the GERD cause anemia, or does the anemia cause the GERD?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousgal View Post
I have GERD and anemia as well. Which comes first - does the GERD cause anemia, or does the anemia cause the GERD?

I don't think they are related at all. I had GERD prior to anemia, I had GERD during anemia, and I *still* have GERD now that my numbers have greatly improved. The GERD has remained the same.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
(female)

StephRabin HB User

MandyPandy...how are your levels now, and how are you feeling? I have all of your symptoms and was/am thinking it was all due to anxiety....

My levels are coming up (as far as last checked) but still losing lots of hair, brain fog, etc...

Last edited by StephRabin; 08-27-2008 at 08:15 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Christina is right. GERD is a mechanical disorder, so to speak. That is what my internist told me. It's sort of like when machinery breaks down irreparably.
Anemias have many causes. GERD is not one of them.

I have all of the symptoms you guys listed and more. I don't know for sure if all of them arose from the iron deficiency. They could also result from other health conditions, the use of medications, etc. Let's just say all of the symptoms mentioned thus far sound too familiar....

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-27-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #13
(female)

ives HB User

I have Pernicous anemia. I was originally diagnosed as having an iron deficiency and I took iron for almost 2 years. Then one morning I woke up with numb fingers. Within three days, the numbness had moved up my arms and within a week and a half my entire body was numb. It took three visits to the doctor before he finally tested my B12 levels. I had a MRI which showed a severe inflammation of the cervical spine and was immediately admitted to the hospital for heavy IV steriods and daily B12 injections.

The neurologist is still treating me and the B12 injections have really helped. My symptoms were:
Fatique
Tingling, numbness in fingers and toes (this is probably permanent)
Premature grayness (this is reversing)
Weight gain
Hearing loss
Weakening of eyesight
Sores in mouth and on tongue

Much of this is improving.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I never cared when I was younger, but I noticed a difference in myself this past month or so. Mainly I have the restless leg symdrome and I was afraid I had a blood clot due to using birth control pills for nearly 10 years. After much researching, I realized this is my anemia that I forgot about. After realizing what is going on my symptoms are:

~Restless leg syndrome- feels like racing or bug in my calfs.lower legs. Mostly in my right leg, but can happen in both. It occasionally wakes me up at night and leaves me unable to rest.

~Possible hair loss? Nothing major but I never noticed loose hair coming out while washing my hair, but within this last month, I would have about 10-15 hair come out during a wash.

~Extreme fatigue, mostly mid morning through the afternoon. (While I know I am not pregnant, became so tired I was paranoid I was pregnant so I took a test anyways. The fatigue is so bad like when I first became pregnant with my daughter.) I am not pregnant at all.

~Possible brain fog? I have felt this way most of my life, so I am thinking it may be because of my dental fillings and vaccines from childhood and being in the military.

~Very noticeable lack of concentration. I read quite a bit and I love to research and learn about natural and alternative health. I cannot force myself to get through one article lately.

~Feeling weak and light headed, may be caused from my low blood sugar.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 10-06-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Ashley9045 HB User

I was diagnosed with anemia in July and low ferritin and I too have had all of these symptoms ++++

Closed Thread