It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User
possible heart damage

My ferrritin was 6 earlier this year, my haemoglobin 11.4.

I have been on iron supplements for a couple of months now - I think equivalent to 125 mg of elemental iron - 1 a day. I still find though that sometimes when I go to bed I have palpitations. It is driving me crazy because it makes me really anxious. I've had them on and off for years and because I've never had my ferritin measured until a couple of years ago (and it was low) but have been anaemic in the past I think - what if my ferritin has always been low and over the years it's damaged my heart? I'm 40 and I feel 80!! I'm so tired of feeling lousy. I didn't sleep last night because my heart was beating so fast and every time I started to fall asleep I seemed to jerk awake again. Mind you I think some of it might be hormonal as well. Can anyone relate?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User
Re: possible heart damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixibel View Post
My ferrritin was 6 earlier this year, my haemoglobin 11.4.

I have been on iron supplements for a couple of months now - I think equivalent to 125 mg of elemental iron - 1 a day. I still find though that sometimes when I go to bed I have palpitations. It is driving me crazy because it makes me really anxious. I've had them on and off for years and because I've never had my ferritin measured until a couple of years ago (and it was low) but have been anaemic in the past I think - what if my ferritin has always been low and over the years it's damaged my heart? I'm 40 and I feel 80!! I'm so tired of feeling lousy. I didn't sleep last night because my heart was beating so fast and every time I started to fall asleep I seemed to jerk awake again. Mind you I think some of it might be hormonal as well. Can anyone relate?
Strange because I was just going to post a question similar to this. My palpitations are driving me CRAZY. Last night I felt very scared. It is honestly like a horse galloping in my chest. I was going to search the boards to see WHY palpitations occur with low ferritin.....

I can definitely relate.

~BOS~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Trixiebell,

I get palps after going to bed that drive me crazy. They literally make me JUMP UP. Sitting up immediately when they start is the only thing that seems to help. It feels as if my heart is going to break out of my chest. It is impossible to think of anything else, including going to sleep, while this is going on. I thought that my new medication was causing the palps.....but who knows. There are so many triggers! Anemia/low blood iron could be one of them. Anemia affects our heart function, so there is a good chance it may be causing the palpitations.

flowergirl

Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Low ferritin is not always the cause of palpitations. It is actually very common in women, especially those in their late 30s and into the 40s. It can be very hormonal. GERD can also cause palps. Anemia can also cause them. I'm not sure, low ferritin alone would though--I think you would have to see a decrease in your red blood cells to really tie it to that.

Anyway, my personal experience with them is that I had no palps during even my worst times of anemia and low ferritin. I did get a racing heart when I exerted myself (tachycardia) but that is different and is very common with anemia. Palps are not.

When my anemia and ferritin got better, I got palps. For some reason, after improving my iron status, my thyroid numbers went wacky and my TSH got real low. This caused my palps. Even though my TSH is better, I am still getting the occasional palp.

So things change in your body. It may not be your anemia causing it at all.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Christine how was your thyroid diagnosed? I've had thyroid tests but they always come back normal and yet I've looked up the symptoms of hypo/hyperthyroidism and I've got so many of them! I suffer from massive anxiety attacks, have had generalised anxiety disorder for nearly as long as I can remember but I've also had periods (especially after having the children) when I'd get terrible anxiety/loss of appetite/racing heart for no apparent reason. I'm so tired of going to the doctor and saying 'test me for this!' Everyone thinks I'm a nutcase anyway - my file at the doctors must be huge. They must all roll their eyes when they see me coming! I'm so tired of feeling 100 when I'm only 40.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixibel View Post
Christine how was your thyroid diagnosed? I've had thyroid tests but they always come back normal and yet I've looked up the symptoms of hypo/hyperthyroidism and I've got so many of them! I suffer from massive anxiety attacks, have had generalised anxiety disorder for nearly as long as I can remember but I've also had periods (especially after having the children) when I'd get terrible anxiety/loss of appetite/racing heart for no apparent reason. I'm so tired of going to the doctor and saying 'test me for this!' Everyone thinks I'm a nutcase anyway - my file at the doctors must be huge. They must all roll their eyes when they see me coming! I'm so tired of feeling 100 when I'm only 40.
Trixibel--

My thyroid issues were a little different. When I was 31, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed. It has been almost 14 years now and I am monitored every 3 months with labs. Occasionally, for no real known reason, things will get wacky. I think once my iron was corrected, it did something to the way my thyroid pills are absorbed and, all of a sudden, I was getting too much. So, the heart palps started.

I will tell you--I've been ALL over the map with my TSH and T4 and T3 numbers with very little effect on how I feel in regards to anxiety (and I do have anxiety). I get more physical type of symptoms when my thyroid levels are off. Hot flashes, sweating, crankiness. I don't think it has ever made a difference in my anxiety. I think that is just *me*.

Anyway, if your thyroid has been thoroughly tested, you have to stop thinking that this is the cause. Thyroid is the "disease du jour" right now and people blame it for EVERYTHING, even when their's is normal. It is not nearly responsible for things as the internet would have you believe. After I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and I was feeling bad for years, it was so easy to blame my thyroid for everything. I had support from several thyroid support groups and some endocrinologists and finally got it out of my head that the loss of this gland was the culprit for all my troubles. It wasn't. I think I blamed my thyroid for so long that it truly did delay getting my anemia and low ferritin diagnosed.

Now, I have to be very careful not to blame low ferritin for everyting that comes up nowadays.

Closed Thread