It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

sept08 HB User
Question Will a B12 blood test one day after an injection appear falsely high?

Hello, I am new here and hoping someone may have some insight on this. I have always been low-normal B12 (tested in the 200 range). Since the lab reference range is 200-1100 doctor's have always said the B12 was normal and no treatment was necessary. Finally the doctor agreed since it was low/normal I may benefit from treatment and I began a series of B12 injections in Jan 08. At the time my latest level was 244. I only had 5 injections and then started traveling out of state frequently to help care for my ill mother and stopped going in for the injections but kept taking B12 supplements.

On 8-2-08 my B12 level was 282. On 8-22-08 I started the injections again and had the first one since February. The doctor also gave me a prescription to have the B12 test along with a check of homostein levels and methylmalonic acid. I also have hypothyroidism and went in on the morning of 8-23-08 for those test. I had the B12 lab work done at the same time. I got the results this week and it showed that on 8-23-08 my B12 level was 1547! I was shocked since it has always been in the 200 range and was 288 on 8-2-08. My question is could the blood test so soon after the injection give a false high reading? Could it have been an error? Is there a period of time you should wait after an injection before testing again to get a true reading?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
(female)

abeliarose HB User
Re: Will a B12 blood test one day after an injection appear falsely high?

Hi Sept,

I'm sure you'll hear from others on this board who have lots of experience with B-12 issues. I can only give you my experience. I saw my doctor for anemia and she elected to give me a b-12 injection. The injection was given first, then within 15 minutes my blood was drawn for testing. The resulting B-12 value was off the scale at >2000. My doctor told me to wait one week before coming back for a recheck, it was still high at 931 (range 211-911). Two months later it was near the high end of normal at 816, which is probably typical for me. Obviously my B-12 level was not contributing to my anemia. So from my very limited experience, I would think your B-12 levels would still be quite high on the day following your injection. I wish you the best and good luck with your treatments.
Abeliarose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Will a B12 blood test one day after an injection appear falsely high?

I have heard that you have to wait for at least 2 weeks after injections before testing to get a true value. You didn't get a true reading. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread