It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User
those who've had a racing heart with their anemia

How long has it taken - or what ferritin level did you have to reach before it stopped happening? Mine is driving me crazy. I find my heart races when I wake up in the middle of the night, or if I eat too much. I'm starting to think I've got a serious heart problem and I'm only 40 and I'm terrified. It races more in the night for no good reason than it does when I exercise!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: those who've had a racing heart with their anemia

Trixibel--It takes a long time for some people. Like many of the symptoms associated with anemia you have it so long it becomes a part of you. One day you wake up and it's gone, you don't really realize it at the time.

I had palpitations after eating all the time and it wasn't even due to a large meal. It finally went away, but for me it was a while after the anemia was resolved because my bloods cells had to renew. I really don't think that you have an actual heart condition. If it doesn't resolve on its own then you will know.

Heart related palpitations--if you have an irregular heartbeat, arrhythmia or valve problems.

NON-heart related palpitations--meds, caffeine, alcohol, panic disorder, hormones-thyroid, ANEMIA.

FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User

Well, after a month of taking supplements (two a day), my palpitations have stopped. However, they come in cycles, so don't know if this is a permanent thing or not. But, as of right now (after a month to 5 weeks of treatment), they have ceased.
free T3 4.9 (3.5-6.5 pmol/L)
free T4 11.3 (10.5-20.0 pmol/L)

Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Thanks for your responses Flowergirl and Beauty - what supplements did you take? I take ferrogradumet containing dried ferrous sulfate 325 mg (equivalent to 105 mg of elemental iron). But I haven't been taking them lately just in case they were CAUSING the papitations (I know, mad, aren't I?) but I think anxiety is getting the better of me again. Should I take 2 a day?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Trixibel--You might want to start by taking at least one a day then build up to two if you can tolerate it well, if your numbers are still low. I don't believe that the iron supplements are causing the palps, most likely low iron, possibly anxiety as well. I took 300mgs of Poly Iron for a year, now I take 150mgs daily. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 09-15-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

beautyofspeed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixibel View Post
Thanks for your responses Flowergirl and Beauty - what supplements did you take? I take ferrogradumet containing dried ferrous sulfate 325 mg (equivalent to 105 mg of elemental iron). But I haven't been taking them lately just in case they were CAUSING the papitations (I know, mad, aren't I?) but I think anxiety is getting the better of me again. Should I take 2 a day?
I'm taking ferrous succinate 25 mg twice daily (it's in a supplement called RBC). I have no problems with constipation/loose or any nausea with these supplements.

~BOS~
free T3 4.9 (3.5-6.5 pmol/L)
free T4 11.3 (10.5-20.0 pmol/L)

Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
(female)

finoni HB User

Hi, I've just joined as I was recently diagnosed with anemia. I feel palpitations especially after work when I get home and it is really worrying me. I'm having to take three tablets a day for a month but I think I'll need to speak to the doc at length about the whole thing. I hope this time he/she listens to me because I was laughed at the last time I went. How long do you reckon I have to be on them for?

Finoni

Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is recommended to stay on iron supplements for at least 6 months after the anemia has resolved to build the iron stores. Some people go to a multivitamin but a good iron supplement is best. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 10-01-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

try it and see if they caused the stress
however low iron causes the heart to mess up also

Closed Thread