It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
(female)

deltalicious HB User
what does being 10 on the anemia scale mean

what does being 10 on the anemia scale mean

Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: what does being 10 on the anemia scale mean

deltalicious--It means a few different things; that you are below range with a Hgb of 10, indicating anemia, classed as a grade 1 borderline mild to moderate anemia, you are pulling from your iron stores (ferritin) in the bone marrow and organs. All of which is corrected with iron IF this is due to a straight forward simple (IDA) iron deficiency anemia. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 10-22-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

deltalicious HB User

thank you for your reply. I was wondering.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
(female)

lynn82nj HB User

Flowergirl is right - iron will only help if you are iron deficient. It is possible to be anemia and not iron deficient - I am chronically anemic, but I was only diagnosed when I went to see the doctor because the iron tablets were upsetting my stomach. You need to check if your ferritin levels are low as well as your haemoglobin, and if they are then you will need to take iron.

If it turns out you have chronic anemia, and not iron deficiency anemia, then make sure you find out what's causing it - it is usually a symptom of another, more serious disease.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

lynn82nj--Were you first DX'ed with IDA to find out that it was not? How did they discover that it was not IDA? Curious. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

lynn82nj HB User

I'm still a bit unsure in my case - it seem I had iron deficiency, and then at some point a few months later anemia, but unrelated? to the iron deficiency. The anemia was from a stomach inflammation from H. Pylori. What I don't completely understand is that my ferritin plummeted from 66 to 10 in just a few weeks after the inflammation was cured - and I had to take iron tablets immediately after, although just a few weeks before there was no iron deficiency, and iron tablets had caused black stools. (!!)

I don't know if that helps your question flowergirl!
I also would like to know what 10 on the "anemia scale" means too (I was 9 the month before) - does everyone else get dizzy after lifting groceries/problem solving/just going about their day, or wake up in the morning feeling like they've just been exercising and can't get their breath?
I'm feeling worse than I was at 9 and I'm wondering if I don't have something else, or if I'm just poorly adapted to the anemia? I read about a girl who was still working a customer service job at 8.5, but has anyone been able to continue with academic work on anemia? I've had to quit my work because I was delivering such poor results.
Would be great to know your experiences..

Old 10-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lynn82nj--Thanks for your post. I was curious about the type of chronic anemia that you had. I too would have chronic anemia if it weren't for my doc saying that I am married to iron supplements.

Your ferritin dropped because you used up all your iron, as it was trying to keep up with the lowered Hgb levels which caused your anemia. There is an automatic mechanism that knows when to kick in whenever there is blood loss, and calls on the ferritin stores possibly depleting them depending on the demand. If I understood your story correctly.

Iron and blood loss both are a cause of black stools, some irons turns stool green. That would scare me after an internal bleed taking iron and the stool becoming black.

To answer your question, a 10 Hgb is borderline moderate to mild anemia and 9 is moderately anemia. I understand what you are saying about feeling worse. This happened to me when I was 8.5 in the beginning I didn't even know it and felt almost completely fine (like the girl in your story) until one day I almost blacked out once. I was working really hard physically. Then, as time went on and my blood levels were building I felt much worse. The only thing that I can think of that would cause this, is the fact that ~for me~ it went on for along time. My blood cells were severely small at 65 MVCV and not carrying enough oxygen needed for the heart to function properly. I had palps, tachycardia, high BP, and all sorts of fun things happen as a result.

I think that because your anemia came on rather quickly that your body didn't have time to adjust, as mine went on for years probably. Your tolerance of anemia is proportional to the rate that it has developed. This is probably why your symptoms are more profound than someone with a slowly developing anemia like myself. I had to quit working, some people do. Everyone handles anemia differently; it really depends on what else your body has to deal with, as in any other underlying conditions. In a few months you will mostly likely recover from your anemia and then you will know if this is the cause of your problems. In the beginning it only took me 2 months to become non anemic. Good luck to you. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
(female)

lynn82nj HB User

Thanks for your post Flowergirl - yes, I think you've understood me correctly. That could definitely explain why I'm feeling worse now than at any other point.

What do you mean, you were non-anemic in 2 months "in the beginning"? How did it recurr, or why? Was it the same kind of anemia in both cases? Are you completely cured now? It sounds like your blood cells were really, really small..

Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lynn82nj--I was unable to tolerate iron and ended up with enteritis for 3 months (inflamed sm intestine and nausea), that was from taking ferris sulfate. I had to discontinue iron until healed and then resume low dose iron that was not enough and my blood dropped from 12.9 to 10.8 low with a 6 ferritin, until I had a procedure to stop blood loss. It was the same problem, instead of Iron Deficiency Anemia, it became Iron Resistant Deficiency Anemia. The anemia is resolved but I am trying to get the ferritin past 41. They say that I am having malabsorption due to long term use of PPI's for GERD. I have other symptoms probably unrelated to ferritin and anemia that came up during this period. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
(female)

lynn82nj HB User

it sounds like it must have been really frustrating - good luck and I hope that once your ferritin is ok again that that will be the end of your problems.

I just got word back that my haemoglobin is now up to 11.6, just within normal range, just 4 weeks after the h. pylori being cured, and my iron and ferritin are slowly creeping up as well. so hopefully nothing more to worry about there

you are right though, getting better is the hardest part - I'm sure I wasn't this weak before now! weird how the body adjusts to cope

Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn82nj View Post
I just got word back that my haemoglobin is now up to 11.6, just within normal range, just 4 weeks after the h. pylori being cured, and my iron and ferritin are slowly creeping up as well. so hopefully nothing more to worry about there
I'm glad that your numbers came up so quickly. Now that you are rid of the bacteria you should be fine. My mom had that happen 2 years ago with anemia and she has never had another problem with it. Best of luck to you too! FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread