It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

shellymcl HB User
Vitamin B12 deficiency and extremely tired don't find injections help much

Vitamin B12 deficiency and extremely tired don't find injections help much

Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User
Re: Vitamin B12 deficiency and extremely tired don't find injections help much

I will be getting my 4th B12 injection next week. I am on the once a month treatment.

This is the 1st month that I have actually had all good days.

From what I understand, it does take some time to get into your system and before improvements can be felt.

Good luck and don't give up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

shellymcl HB User

Thanks very much. I was on 1 B12 injection a week in the month of June and July. Now I am back on them again also getting 1 each week and am getting my 4th 1 next week, but still don't feel the difference. Suppose I will have to think positive. I have 2 get bloods taken then a few weeks after to see how my B12 Level is doing, but I find if my B12 level goes up even a slight bit they take me off them again and i just seem to go away down again. My level was extremely low so maybe that it why it is taking so long to feel the effect. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

Your levels must have been really low since you are getting injections once a week. How long did you the B12 deficiency symptoms?

I am 42 and had the symptoms off and on for about a year. My doctor was shocked because I have Pernicious Anemia and it usually doen't show up until closer to 60 years of age. My sister is 38 and was just diagnosed last month with the same thing.

I only get one injection per month.

The 1st one was a double shot of B-12 and the last two was just the single dose.

I did have my blood drawn this morning to check my levels and will go back next week to see what dosage I will need.

I hope you get to feeling better soon and you would think with that many injections, you would.

Last edited by tlhalabama; 09-24-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-25-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
(female)

shellymcl HB User

I had it for 2years but they only diagnosed it this year when I got my first set of injections in June. I also have Pernicious Anemia, my granda, aunt and uncle have it also and they just get 1 injection a month and they are on it 4 the rest of their lives so I guess I will probably be the same, runs in the family. I know I thought it would be working by this stage. I am only 29 and have 3 young children so suppose I don't really get that much time to rest and it does'nt help. Thanks again

Old 09-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User

What symptoms did you have with vitamin B12 deficiency?

Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
(female)

shellymcl HB User

Started with bowel trouble my belly woudl swell up alot after eating and constipation.I had basically no energy at all my husband had to help up from the chair was so weak. Sore heads and bowel problems, not sleeping properly, crying for no reason at all, that's all i can remember at the mo.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:03 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ashley9045 HB UserAshley9045 HB User

sounds so familiar except I was diagnosed with severe anemia, low ferritin, low Vitamin D but they have never checked me for B12 deficiency so that is the next thing I need to be checked for because I am still feeling the horrible exhaustion even after 3 months of many vitamin supplements. At first I kept thinking this was all due to menopause. Who knows, so many things happen when you hit 50..

Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

When I went to the doctor, I honestly thought I had a very bad case of Mono. I had all the symptoms and I have already had it twice within the last 10 years.

I was very tired, had a headache, achy body, and my head felt like it was in a constant fog. I had the overall blah feeling. I was actually diagnosed with a UTI and a sinus infection to start with, but after meds, I was no better. That's when the testing began.

I was very surprised at being B-12 deficient. It runs in my family. The doctor did say it is hereditary.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Hello everyone....I have a had aB12 deficiency since 1999.My symptoms were extreme fatigue,pins 'n needles feeling in my fingers and toes,difficulty eatting/swallowing sometimes,confusion,very weak in arm/hands/legs/feet,sore/red/glossy tongue,unsteady walk,dizziness...I think that's about all of them.I have a complicated,hidden B12 deficiency.My levels get borderline-low and the hematologist found that my methylmalonic acid level was sky-high which points to a hidden B12 deficiency.So I had shots for almost 2 years and then I was told to get them 3 to 4 times a year,but I didn't,because our insurance plan wasn't good.Then 5 years later I was depleted again...so now I'm getting the shots monthly,but I have some irreversible nerve damage now because of being deficient for so long.

I still feel tired most of the time though.So I don't understand why I don't feel energy from it....

I have been getting monthly shots again since February 2007 and I just started to get my level up to a fairly decent number.

Have a good week everyone.

Scout~

Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Scout--What does your B-12 serum reflect, when you say borderline low, do you mean around 200? Thanks for the information. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Hi....when I was diagnosed it was 278....this time around it was 222.My hematologist said when it gets under 400 you're apt to start having a whoe lotta symptoms,but regular MDs don't seem to know that....funny,huh? The normal range supposedly is 200-1100........go figure.

Scout~

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Scout,

what symptoms did the hematologist tell you people get when their B12 level gets low? Are tingling arms and hands one of the symptoms? What other symptoms do people get? Thank you!

FG

Old 09-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I hope no one minds if I listen in. Not many doctors would be willing to hear about symptoms with a B12 in range but I have read that in Japan, they like the number to be over 500. My B12 was at 324 and my doctor said there is NO WAY a number that high would cause any symptoms and I am JUST depressed. They started me on Sertraline (Zoloft) and increased the dose twice when I said it was not helping and then switched to Effexor XR and increased the dose twice as again I said it was not working. It made me a different person alright but not the one my husband married!! I started being very paranoid and withdrawing and complained even more about sore hips (biggest symptom), fatigue, etc. My ionized calcium is HIGH 1.42 (1.17-1.32) but the doctor also says that is not high enough to worry about. Vitamin D is 19 (40-100) and Ferritin is 28. Total Cholesterol is 252. Why do the labs even bother with ranges? Heck , I have been to 3 different doctors and they are all telling me I am just depressed. How blatantly obvious does a problem have to become before it is addressed? How much does a person fight before they just give up? Thanks so much for listening to me rant!! Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 09-29-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi can i join to, my b12 is 227,range 180. 800,my doctor said,i dont need any treatment said its all anxiety,but she is sending me to a neurologist to keep me quiet,but said i will have a long wait.shirley

Closed Thread