It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
(male)

Anemic123 HB User
Pern. Anemia -- B12 Shots Not Working

Hi and thanks for reading my posting. I was recently diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia and since have been going for B12 injections. My doc has me doing the shots once a month. I have been going each month for the past 6 months. So far, my B12 level hasn't even come into the normal range (I'm still below 200) let alone in the upper end of the normal range. Doctor says one more month and, if no improvement, I have to see a hematologist.

Just curious what a hematologist has to do with this?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, would be most appreciated.

(I searched the boards before writing to see if someone already addressed this question. Apologies if this question is redundant.)

Old 10-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
(male)

pjs009 HB User
Re: Pern. Anemia -- B12 Shots Not Working

There's a few different ways you can get a pernicous anemia. You can not be eating it - vegan, not releasing intrinsic factor which sucks it in, or not be absorbing it. I'm guessing the testing that needs to be done to figure out which category you fall into, is better suited for a hematologist. I'm sure there's other ways you can aquire a pern.anemia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
(female)

robinegg HB Userrobinegg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemic123 View Post
Hi and thanks for reading my posting. I was recently diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia and since have been going for B12 injections. My doc has me doing the shots once a month. I have been going each month for the past 6 months. So far, my B12 level hasn't even come into the normal range (I'm still below 200) let alone in the upper end of the normal range. Doctor says one more month and, if no improvement, I have to see a hematologist.

Just curious what a hematologist has to do with this?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, would be most appreciated.

(I searched the boards before writing to see if someone already addressed this question. Apologies if this question is redundant.)
Hi Pernacious Anemia is an autoimmune disease here the body doesnt make intrinsic factor the body actually attacks the intrinsic factor and or partiel cells it has not much to do with being a vegan......

Hi Anemic123

A hematologist is a doc who specializes in blood disorders.......So he can look at your blood more closely.....
However I have to say to go 6 months & not have a bit higher level is not great but if you are only having one shot per month it is not really enough I am surprised your doc has not given more the usual protocol for pernacious anemia is as follows.....1 injection of 1000mcg per day for a week then 1 per week for 4 weeks then 1 per month ending up at 1 every 3 months for life....

The 1 a day gets loaded into the system.......
What sort of injections are you having as some B12s are better than others.....Methyl being the best I have had all and this worked best for me....
I did however have severe neurological damge but not PA.....
I would suggest Methyl but if that is not possible Hyroxocobalamin over Cyanocobalamin....

Do you have any symptoms like numbness ect and if you have are these getting better I would think at that level probably not..

Perhaps have a chat to your doc about giving shots more regularly to see if it helps or you could try the sublingual types of B12 in between injections the oral pills would not be of much use to you I guess.......

Good Luck to you

Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Hi Anemic123...I absolutely agree with RainbowsEnd(Hi RainbowsEnd!)...that once a month shot isn't enough!!!!

Good thing you're on your way to a hematologist(blood dr.).....that dr. will know what to do to get you feeling better faster!

Sounds like you are Not absorbing the B12...you will probably need a Schilling Test...that is where they give you two B12 pills that have radioactive markers in them(harmless!) and they also give you a B12 njection.Then you collect All your urine for a 24 hour period and bring it back to be tested to ee how well you absorbed the B12.

I hope you get in to see the other dr. soon....so you can get the proper care for your B12 problem.

Your B12 is really low....do you have a lot of symptoms?I have lowB12 also(negative for Schilling test)and I get a monthly shot,but mine was 222 this time around and I had a long list of symptoms...still have some even now.

Please keep us posted.....take care now~Scout

Closed Thread