It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

luvnladi HB User
do i need to be concerned with having a iron infusion

do i need to be concerned with having a iron infusion

Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: do i need to be concerned with having a iron infusion

I am prone to anemia due to kidney disease, and there for awhile I had several. I think you will find it easy to tolerate, and it does really help.

My infusions were done within a special medical office, where there were 3 or 4 recliners where you sit comfortably during the infusion. Many people would read or listen to headphones, they serve you juice, and it's a very relaxed atmosphere. The infusion itself took about three hours (if I remember correctly) and the venefer was given through a small i.v.

Just wear something comfy, bring yourself a book and relax. I wish you the best, let us know how it goes...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
(female)

luvnladi HB User

Do I need to be concerned about having an Iron Infusion.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
(female)

luvnladi HB User

What are the side affects of having and Iron Infusion.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

luvnladi--You ARE asking the right questions. IV infusion is not without risk, however, I always say that I am very grateful that we have this resource when needed. You can use the search box at the top of this page and key word IV iron and see what others here have experienced. It is different for everyone depending on the type of iron, how much you are getting at one time, and your own ability to tolerate it. There are preps to help with reducing reactions and in a proper setting things should be fine. People report minor aches and pains for hours to days thereafter OR nothing at all for some. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

i know people react different to everything and i am the biggest baby when it comes to side effect but i had none my only problem was a nurse who didnt wear gloves and we got into a little thing

Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
(female)

luvnladi HB User

I am afraid of the iron infusion. I was told my infusion would take me 8 hours

Old 10-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

you can ask your dr to break it up there are less side effects if you dont get so much at once. sucrose is the safest iron also im not sure which one you are getting

Last edited by neffie663; 10-30-2008 at 12:22 PM.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
(female)

iwillsurvive22 HB User

I had my first Iron Infusion today. I was told I probably wouldn't need another one for a few years. Hooray! I spent 8hrs at the cancer center. The nurses were so nice. My mom goes there for her chemo so she knows everyone and was able to get me a private room(If I didnt have a room i'd have to sit in a recliner situated around the nurses station). The first hour was just getting me ready and then putting the benadryl in. I was so tired but was too anxious to sleep. Then the 2nd hour was the 15min test dose and the rest of that hour was spent waiting to make sure I didn't have a reaction. After the first 2 hours they have me my actual dosage which took 6 hours. I was not happy. I was bored and not feeling well. For some reason I felt real dehydrated and was very pale and super hot. I got home around 5pm this evening and got a horrible headache and backache. I called my doc and he said i feel this way because my iron is finding its way to the bone marrow and that hurts. Man it sucks so bad. I feel like i've been ran over by a train.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

the more iron you get at once the higher the risk for pain as well as other reactions. i did 2 hr infusions 3x instead it is safer that way depending on how the next few weeks go for you maybe you can get the infusion over the course of a few weeks like me. i had no reaction besides fighting with the nurse that didnt want to wear gloves. good luck

Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
(female)

npainnTN HB User

WOW, i have never heard of an iron infusion taking 8 hours. I would go stir crazy.

Yes, iron infusions can have side effects and the benefits should out weigh the risk but, i swear by them. It only takes me about 3 hours. I love them. After getting enough to get my iron and Hgb levels back where they should be I feel so much better. I am able to walk without almost fainting, it decreases my heart rate and increases my blood pressure. Which are all great things for me. Not for everyone though.

I would talk to your doctor and get all the info you can. Becareful about doing random searches on the internet as you can get misinformation which would cause more panic and would be more harmful to you. A board like this is great though, where you have people who are actually in similar situation and have correct data to give you.

Good luck and let us know what happens....

Closed Thread