It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
Ablation - does it help?

Anyone have an endometrial ablation to control periods? I'm looking into it. My doctor wants to do a 15 minute freezing ablation in her office. Does anyone have any opinions - good or bad - about ablations.

I haven't been here in a while. Nothing new with me. Same old stuff. Taking iron every day and not really seeing any improvements. My doctor says I'm like a bucket with a hole in it.

Anyway, any advice on an ablation? I'm scared.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User
Re: Ablation - does it help?

I had an ablation done 9 months ago it seems to have helped because im still not anemic. I had novasure and while I still get my period it is much lighter. I use panty linner instead of the super long ultras that I use to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

i had novasure done burning the linning i chose it because it only takes 90 secs and the machine shuts off it is almost fool prove. my periods were pretty bad before the ablation. It was done in the hospital but I got a spinal and sedation not general.I didnt flood with my period besides at night just a heavy clotting mess.(sorry for all the info)I still take 28mgs a day of iron im sure that will be for life.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Littlebunnyfoo--Don't be scared, it was really easy and I was very ill at the time. It was one of the best things that I have ever done for myself. What a relief. Even if it is not the cause behind your anemia it is so worth it!!!!!! I hardly have a period, although I still have one monthly. I only have to use a linner and nothing usually gets that far. Before, I had my period for about 3 heavy, clotty days and had to use double tampons to leave the house to be able to work. I also had 7 polyps that didn't show on the US so you never know until they get in there for sure. Best of luck to you. Sorry you are still working on this too. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Welcome back littlebunnyfoo it's so funny, i was only just wondering how you were doing and thought i'd see what posts were here on the off chance you might have posted

Sorry to hear it's same old with you. The others are right, if you need this procedure then you need it. It will be one more thing eliminated and if you have iron issues after this procedure then at least you know it's not from needing an ablation. Have you posted on the Womens Health section of the board? I'm sure there would be quite a number of women there who have had it done.

Did you have any other issues besides the low iron eg: low Vit D, low B12 etc etc and if so, how are they doing?

Stay strong and i hope you can beat this

FLFLOWERGIRL - you mean to say an ultrasound doesn't necessarily pick up all the fibroids lurking about????? that scares me. Both times they've only found one with me and it's growing as i have a higher estrogen level so it's perfect environment for it to grow. Am surprised i don't have more of them. First time round they said it was in the Submucosal position which causes all the period problems. Second time round they didn't even identify which position it was in. That is sloppy workmanship in my opinion. I'm still on the herbal formula to keep my periods normal and regular. Not sure what to do about the fibroid. I'm also taking a natural supplement called Diindolylmethan (DIM) to lower my estrogen. I have to take it for about another 3 weeks and then we'll retest and see if this stuff helps with estrogen. If it does, it might even help shrink or halt the growth of the fibroid.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Hey everyone! Thanks for your replies. I just need more information about the novasure as opposed to the in-office procedure. I want to have the one with the least amount of risk.

Low vitamin D, but B12 is actually high. I'm wondering if it could be a liver issue?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

novasure can be done in the office also but my dr likes to do them in the hospital novasure is one of the safest but like any ablation has risks good luck

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

My ablation was done as at a Surgery Center. It is so worth it. I wouldn't settle for any less of a procedure because sometimes even the ablation has to be redone, just so you know. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh! Now I remember that there are only a few of these machines in our town and it is not that small. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Littlebunnyfoo - are you taking a Vit D supplement and how much? if you are very low you actually need to be taking about 5000IU i believe and then when it gets to the high end you simply take 1000IU as a maintenance dose.

I used to think Vit D was a basic vitamin and wasn't aware how big a job it has. A lot of people feel better once their Vit D rises to the high end. it took me about a year and a half to get up high.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B--Hey there! Yes, I was saying that they missed 7 polyps on the transvaginal US. I only found out after the surgery when I woke up, my husband told me. I even have pictures, gosh I thought that was a lot of polyps. And...they return rather quickly I guess if you don't have the ablation which I understand helps it not to grow back as fast. What are you going to do about your fibriod? Is it a big problem for you? My mom had one the size of a California grapefruit, can you just imagine? Needless to say she had to have surgery and 3 transfusions. She had it in her head that she could get through menopause and it would stop growing but that never happened. At least she had a wonderful doctor at that time. Now they have new procedures that are so much easier, I believe. But I was a little mad that they missed it. It was even done at the GYN's office and the doc hand picks who is doing the tests so I would think that she would have done a better job. She did, however; find the cyst on my ovary that I already knew about, but at least she saw it, LOL. Be well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Not liking the "missing polyps on the ultrasound," thing. I just had an ultrasound and a saline ultrasound. They came back clear.

Next is the endometrial biopsy...does it hurt as bad as everyone says?

Audrey- my Vit. D was 39, so within range.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

I think it depends on the person. some women think its not that bad. me personally id rather have another ablation. it hurt and i bleed for a week then got a period that wouldnt stop ( the worst period of my life) good luck

Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Littlebunnyfoo - what is the range your lab uses for Vit D? You do realise you need to be at the high end of the range?

FLFLOWERGIRL - not sure what i'll do about the fibriod. it's not too big yet at 17mm, but i'm worried about my menstrual cycle symptoms matching the symptoms i've read about when your fibroid is in the submucosal position, which is where mine is. then i've read, depending on the procedure used, the doctor can ruin the endometrial lining, thereby giving me a type of endometriosis which i didn't have in the first place. I think i'll have to wait till my thyroid figures reach my doctor's target, then i'll focus on what to do about my periods and this fibroid. It's too much right now dealing with all the thyroid stuff, let alone anything else.

I'm seeing my thyroid doc thursday of next week so hopefully i've reach my target figures as well as a much higher ferretin. I am a bit worried regarding a comment a poster made on the thyroid board. She doesn't understand why my doctor has this particular target for my thyroid as she believes it's too low. I will ask him and it will be interesting to see what his reasons are for that target. He has Hashi's himself so i highly doubt he'd have me at the wrong target figures as he's gone through all this himself.

Hoping you are keeping well too

Old 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Audrey - I know that the low end was 30 and I'm not sure about the high end...maybe 80? Do you think Calcium with Vit. D is good enough to raise it?

Closed Thread