It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
(female)

frittsangie74 HB User
how low can your hemoglobin be before you need blood

Im a 34 year old female with hemoglobin of 9 will I need blood and what are some symptoms that I should look for to

Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
(female)

GreenGal77 HB User
Re: how low can your hemoglobin be before you need blood

I've asked this same question many times and never really gotten a completely clear answer. To be honest, I think the best answer I ever got from a doctor is that there isn't really a magic number, that it's based on the number as well as symptoms and other signs (i.e. blood pressure, heart rate etc)

For me, I was at 7.7 and they were talking very seriously about transfusing. However, I'm 26, I'm otherwise in good health and they felt that they wanted to see if they could monitor me closely, stop the immediate bleeding (I was in the middle of a very heavy period) and try and get it to go up. It's gone up a bit, but transfusion talk still comes up.

So it's hard to say for sure. If you have really low BP, tachycardia, and/or the symptoms are interfering severely with your life, I would think it's time to think more seriously about a transfusion.

Although, depending on where you live, it could also depend on other factors (insurance, hospital policy etc). I'm in Canada and I was told there is technically no magic number, but I assume for the purposes of payment there could be.

Are you very symptomatic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
(female)

frittsangie74 HB User

Yes, my heart races. I feel awful my muscles ache and I have severe headaches and nausea. All I want to do is sleep I feel horriable all the time

Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

fritsangie74--When I was diagnosed with anemia at a 8.5 and 2 ferritin my doc told me that I would need a blood transfusion at a 7 Hgb. He said, this is the number that they go by. He went on to say that if I were his wife he would not recommend having it with that number. There can be further complications with transfusion as you may know. I'm sure this was his thinking too.

Have you found a reason for your low Hgb and anemia? If it is your periods, I don't think you have to worry about dropping quickly because this usually happens over a long period of time. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I've had to look into this issue due to the procedure I'll be having tomorrow. The previous posters are right. There seems to be no set point at which the transfusions are done. The focus these days is on the management of anemia (after determining the cause).

Blood transfusions in people with anemia are mostly performed due to excessive bleeding during surgery, physical trauma, and in cancer and leukemia patients who are receiving chemotherapy and whose bone marrow has been suppressed. The transfusions increase certain risks, as Flflowergirl pointed out, and can compromise the immune system. The blood transfusions are only used as a last resort.

FG

Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
(female)

Kiwilily HB User

Here in California, it is common to transfuse at a Hgb of 8. That is the number my medical group uses and the number that the two teaching hospitals that I have been admitted to use too. It is the level most commonly sited in literature/medical reviews. I have been transfused each time my Hbg dropped to 8 or less without delay.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
(female)

tatsu15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frittsangie74 View Post
Im a 34 year old female with hemoglobin of 9 will I need blood and what are some symptoms that I should look for to
I would take some iron asap before it gets too low. I researched and read that if your iron gets too low your heart will beat fast... meaning it will need to work harder thus when it works harder it can become enlarged which is quite scary. That's how some athletes die suddenly when they develop enlarged hearts without realizing it.

I was feeling weak and I am pregnant. I noticed after about a week or so of taking iron I feel so much better now. Take care of yourself. My hemo was a 10 and I think my body was redirecting all the oxygen to my baby and shutting down oxygen to my extremities which is why I may have been experiencing weakness in hands and legs.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
(female)

DianaRo42 HB User

Hi, I'm new, but anything 8 or below they have to offer blood transfusion. I opted not to, instead having iron infisions. Had first last Friday, and second on Monday. My iron level was 1, and my hgb was 6.5. After first iron infusion my hgb was 7.2. I go back for next one on Monday.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by DianaRo42; 01-22-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Closed Thread