It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

mysixpack HB User
I'm confused- what kind of anemia is it?

I've noticed everyone uses different terms for there anemia. Would mine be iron deficient anemia or would it be caused by the B-12? Does it really matter? If I got my B12 back to normal and not my iron would I still be anemic and visa versa?
My PCP said I was anemic from lack of iron and age. So, is the B12 an added problem? Do I have to fix both to not be anemic?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: I'm confused- what kind of anemia is it?

Iron will fix general Iron Deficiency anemia, but not PA for example; it has to be treated with B-12. You become anemic for different reasons, as you know, but it is all treated the same. Many doctors will not run further tests for B-12 because they say it's still treated the same way. I think they should always find a root cause. It helps to know more about your medical state. Whether your have an autoimmune disease process at work or what. Having one puts you at greater risk for others in the future. This is why you have to have so many different test to find a cause. You can have both IDA and B-12 deficiency at the same time (very common), for many different (malabsoprtion syndrome) reasons. B-12 can only treat B-12 and iron for iron def. If you have both you need to treat both. I will give you an example, for myself, I take PPI's that can cause some malabsorption. It can change your B-12 intake and iron. For me it only causes iron malabsorption, my B-12 is great. I still supplement with B-12 so that I don't end up with a problem because this puts me at a higher risk. Other people that take PPI's may malabsorb both or just B-12. It depends on your own body and what is going on. I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, this too can cause reduced stomach acid needed to absorb iron, so who really knows what's going on. Only testing will tell. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

mysixpack HB User

You really have a way of saying things that helps people understand. Maybe if I understood a little better last year I would not be back in this same predicament. They have always treated it as no big deal-so I have done the same. Now my body feels terrible and I have a lot of digging to get out of this hole. They had me so confused! All it would take to feel better is taking some vitamins-or getting a few shots-geez! They should have steered me in the right direction.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Many doctors do not help or inform you as a patient, as long as you are "in range". I complained 3 years prior to my anemia, and that is when the GYN found that I had Hashimoto's which is the SAME SYMPTOMS as anemia. I went in and said I was anemic, when in fact I had an autoimmune disease that was found. I got my labs and looked back to that time to see where my Hgb was and it was only 13 something with high platelets so I know I had little if any ferritin which they have NEVER checked on me before it was found as a 2 last year. Ferritin should be an annual thing for women and save us a lot of issues because this changed my life. My doctor's also told me that I would not feel well at my age and I am 47 was 45 at the time, it's nothing about age let me tell you. It's about malabsorption and/or blood loss. Sorry, now I am ranting. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

mysixpack HB User

What is Hashimotos disease-how did they find it? What are the symptoms? If you have low iron and B12 does that mean that is the only thing causing anemia? Or can you have that along with other stuff?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hashi's (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis), is an autoimmune disease of the thryoid. Antibodies in the blood attack the thyroid resulting in low thyroid function and destruction of the gland, under-active (Hypo-T) or even Hyper-T at times. Symptoms are of course different for everyone. I was tired, cold, my hair fell out a little and I had very heavy periods along with an elevated cholesterol which is common is Hypo-T. It was found through a simple blood test and then US of the gland. They test the thyroid function TSH, T-4, T-3 and Antibodies for Hashi's. You can have just a thyroid condition OR a thyroid disease or even many more other things to do with your thyroid.

Regarding the B-12, iron deficiency and anemia--You can have each alone, both together and also with other things going on too in any one of those scenarios. Anemia can be for more than just one cause. All of my doctor's told me my anemia was from my periods so I had an ablation, which helped a lot. But I still couldn't build my ferritin, I am 58 ferritin in 2 yrs time. I was actually 43 at 1 yr and 3months time. Now, they say it is from malabsorption due to long term use of PPI's. This is why a proper diagnosis is always necessary. It is not enough to treat without knowing the facts, although we don't always get them. If I had not gone back to the GI doc a year later for my regular GI check up and told him I wouldn't of known I was having malabsorption. I was very surprised!! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
(female)

mysixpack HB User

Forgive me for my ignorance- what is PPI's?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

No problem, (PROTON PUMP INHIBITORS AKA PPI'S) it's just meds like Nexium, I'm sure you have heard of that one, "The little purple pill". Acid blockers necessary for iron break down in the stomach. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 02-01-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
(female)

mysixpack HB User

I should warn my brother-he takes antacid "candy" all day! Although I'm sure men don't have the same issues as us I also wonder if that has the same effect as the PPI's. Do you think it's the actual medicine or the disease that causes malabsorbtion? I had it for months with each pregnancy! I took tums for it. I can tell you though-it felt like my insides were burning and it was miserable! I would say that was the worst part of being pregnant!!
I so bad want to get up-go work out-and get in shape! The problem is I have to conserve my energy for my kids and their needs(like eating). lol

Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

The disease causes the acid to shoot usP or float up when one lays down. The PPI is to reduce the acid, so that it does not destroy the lining so much, that in turn may lead the Barrett's Esophagitis. My mom at 75 yrs was diagnosed with this just last year and she never knew that she even had a problem. So, now they just watch it every couple years via endoscopy. For some people like her, it can be silent. I was always the one taking the meds. For the elderly malabsorption is decreased, but I mean elderly, it is part of the age process. So they often become anemic from malabsorption of B-12 and iron. If they are on PPI's which most people now days are unfortunately then it can be an even greater problem for them. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread