It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
(female)

BriansMom444 HB User
What was everyones blood levels & treatment plan?

Hi,

Im wondering what each of your blood levels are & what treatment worked for you?

Are we all Iron Deficiant here?

My Ferritin was 5.4 in 2006 (Dr failed to mention it to me)
My RBC & HEmogbn was NOT affected at the time

2008~~~Dr gave me iron, brought ferritin up just to minimal level (Go figure).
RBC & HEmoglbn still NOT affected.

Dec 2009, Had bone marrow.......showed on way to Iron Deficiancy anemia.

Bloodwk was:

RBC 4.2
Hemoglbn 12.8

Hematologist put me on Iron Pills 2X day/

2 Mo's later bloodwk

Ferritin 7
RBC 3.8
Hemoglbn 12.1

Going to continue another month on oral & see what happens

Like to hear from others,
Blessings!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: What was everyones blood levels & treatment plan?

Ferritin: 2
Hemoglobin: 9.5 (Low)
Hematocrit: 30.5 (Low)
MCV: 68 (Low)
MCH: 21.2 (Low)
MCHC: 31.2 (Low)
RDW: 17.7 (High)

My treatment plan is ferrous sulfate 150mg. 2 times a day, vit. B12 1000, vit. D 1000 2 times a day, folic acid 1000. I have been on this for one month, going back to the doctor today. Hopefully she will check levels again. I do not feel any better though. Maybe a little less shakey in my hands and my tongue is not as sore around the edges, but still TIRED.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Ferritin: 2 L

CBC--
Hgb: 8.5 L
Hct: 27.3 L
MCV: 65 L
MCH: 20.2 L
MCHC: 31.2 L
Platelets: 462 H
RDW: 19.2 H

herekittykitty--We look a lot alike. If you would have gone on just a bit longer you see what your labs could have looked like.

My iron replacement therapy was 150 X2 = 300mgs elemental iron daily. Now it is 150 daily maintenance dose.
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

gemini123 HB User

2003 (pregnant and felt awful)
i don't have all test results because i didn't know i could get them at that point!

Level - Hb 9.7 treatment - ferrous sulphate x3 daily

April 2007

Results
HB 10.3
Ferritin 2.8

platelets 331
mcv 73
mchc 31.1
mch 22.6
rbc 4.58
WBC 4.1
neutrophils 1.9
eosinophil 0.2
lymphocyte 1.7
monocyte 0.2,
PCV 0.33%
B12 539
folate 8.7

Treatment ferrous sulphate x3 daily for over 6 months

Jan 2009

Results
HB 13.7
Ferritin 8.8

platelets 249
mcv 89
mchc 33.9
mch 30.2
rbc 4.54
WBC 3.2
neutrophils 1.5
eosinophil 0.2
lymphocyte 1.2
monocyte 0.3
PCV 0.40%

Treatment
- Ferrous fumerate x 3 daily retest in 3 months
also now trying minera coil to reduce menstruation

Last edited by gemini123; 02-26-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

My plan, back when i first started on the iron supplement road, was to take high doses of iron, eat foods rich in iron, not to combine iron inhibiting foods/beverages with my iron supplement. My doctor also had me on Lysine and Glutamine to help absorption so my ferritin would rise faster.

I spent a bit over a year focusing just on the iron, thinking if i could lift my iron that it would fix all my other symptoms eg: tiredness, hair shedding, messed up monthly cycles.

A year ago i found out i had an autoimmune thyroid condition called Hashimoto's and also found out i had excess estrogen and that my pancreas wasn't producing sufficient digestive enzymes to digest protein. I then blamed all of this on my difficult in raising my ferritin.

It's only now that i've done even more indepth research that i learn (and my doctor confirms) that in my case my thyroid and excess estrogen are linked to my digestive issues and could be the things which are holding my ferritin back and causing my digestive issues.

Right now i'm at the point where my doctor and i are trying to find as natural a way as possible at lowering my estrogen. Not sure if we'll try natural progesterone cream.

Once everything has been balanced and righted it will mean better digestive system and immune system which will equal more energy and feeling better in general.

As for my ferritin, fortunately my gp caught it when i was at 8 and it took nearly three years to get up to 78. Then due to stress it went down to 50, then back up to 69, then back down to 53. I'll find out on monday where i'm at now. So now i'm at the point where we are trying to find out why it goes up, then after 6 weeks drops, then rises in 6 weeks, then drops in another 6 weeks. I'm wondering whether it's linked to my estrogen excess and thyroid, which could be messing with my digestive system.

I feel it's really been a journey and i've come such a long way from solely focusing on "ferretin", which i was obsessed with. I've learnt from this board that ferritin truly is a symptom, not an illness on it's own. It also helps to have a co-operative and well informed doctor too.

Good luck to everyone on their journey

Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
(female)

BriansMom444 HB User

Hi Audrey,

When you say you have Autoimmune Thyroid Disease Hashimotos, May I ask how they come up w/ Hashimotos as a dx?

Im curious because I thought & I could be wrong (Im so exaughted from lack of sleep) that you had normal TSH, T4, T3, ect

Is it that you only have antibodies? Which antibodies do you have? All 3?
Did you have an US of the Thyroid/

THX!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I was seeing a Trichologist for my hair shedding and he did a TSH, T3, T4 and thyroid antibodies tests. My antibodies came back sky high, the TSH was elevated at 2 point something or other (but it was always up and down, mostly up), my T4 at the time was high and my T3 was too low. Once he saw the sky high antibodies he diagnosed it as Hashimoto's and sent me to someone who treats thyroids.

The antibodies tested were 2 types, Anti Thyroglobulin and Anti thyroid Peroxidase.

The thyroid doctor sent me for an ultrasound and it also showed definite Hashimoto's. They found one nodule, but nothing cancerous.

I also had my cortisol levels tested for my adrenal function. Poor adrenal function will also cause major tiredness and brain fog. A lot of things will cause tiredness from thyroid, anemia/low iron, low B12 and other B vitamins, adrenal fatigue to hormone imbalance eg: estrogen/progesterone.

Closed Thread