It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

cme10ae HB User
low ferritin/essential tremor relation?

I was just diagnosed with extremely low ferritin (3) and I suspect I've had it for at least a few years. I know it's caused by my heavy periods and wasn't helped at all by a couple years of extreme dieting. I've also noticed lately that I'm developing what looks like essential tremors (tremor on movement, not resting). Could the two be related?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: low ferritin/essential tremor relation?

I hope I can explain this correctly without being too confusing. My family has a history of essential tremor. My grandfather had it so badly that he could no longer feed himself or drink by himself because his hands shook so badly. Subsequently, all of his children (which includes my Dad) have this to some degree or the other. I, too, have this. They thought my grandfather had nerve damage from undiagnosed pernicious anemia.

I was recently diagnosed with moderate anemia (hemoglobin was 9.5) and a ferritin of 2. The doctor started me on iron supplements, methylcobalamin 1000 (B12), methylfolate 1000 (folic acid), and vit. D. I was low in vit. D also.

The first thing I noticed after starting all these vitamins was that my hands stopped shaking and my tongue became less sore. That's probably the only significant improvement I have had thus far, but a very positive improvement nonetheless!

I was checked for parietal cell antibodies and was negative for that, so I guess I do not have pernicious anemia, but I feel the B vitamins have helped me with the essential tremors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

cme10ae HB User

Thanks for your reply, this is very interesting. I have no family members with essential tremors, so I keep wondering why on earth my hands are shaking. I've been researching since my diagnosis and now realize I may not only be low in iron and am also supplementing vit B and D now. I feel loads better when I take them, that's for sure.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

cme,
What is your dosage on the B and D vitamins? Which of the B's are you taking? How long have you been taking them?

I'm not really sure how long it took for me to notice my hands weren't shaking anymore, but it wasn't long.

Closed Thread