It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
(female)

help wanted :( HB User
Re: b12?

flower girl, thanks for your reply.
i know, my doctor will just not think outside the box or consider anything to be wrong with levels that are somewhere within the normal range, even when there are symptoms. No i havnt had my b12 checked, im getting blood taken next week to get everything rechecked, itll be interesting to see if its changed.
im not going to start taking any b12 untill ive had the blood test. i may see if i can get hold of some sublingual b12 and try that.

Audrey, thank you also for your reply.
i did have a thyroid blood test months ago wich i was just told was 'normal', im having it rechecked next week and will try to get a copy of my results and post them to see what you think.
Its intersting what you said about digestive problems and thyroid. i too am always hungry and have to eat a lot. i get major stomach grumbling, from eating/digesting food and from hunger if i dont eat for a few hours. i also get dreadful bloating and gas. theyve diagnosed me with a sensitive/overactive diestive system but i resufe to belive that it isnt the result of something else, there must be something going on in my body to cause that.

As for digestive enzymes, i have tried them before for a little while but they didnt really make a difference. what sort and dosage were you taking, and for how long?

i dont have ceoliacs/gluten intolerance or lactose intolerance. i also had s blood test for liver function whcih was normal. my periods have always been very heavy, painful. ive been on the pill for a number of years whcih settled them a fair bit, but lately ive been getting a lot of spotting/discharge and theyre getting heavier. i suggested getting my hormones checked but my doctor said they will all be fine becasue im on the pill?! she wants me to have an imternal exam/swabs.

i did once see another doctor in the same practise and he was just as ignorant and useless, if i dont get anywhere with my doc soon, ill try the rest of them in the practise but i get the feelign they all read her notes and say the exact same thing!!!
i am my own doctor! i just wish there was a way i could test myself for eveything so i could actually find out whats wrong, if only i was a qualified doctor!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

help wanted --I will be curious to see how your B-12 looks since your last lab that you posted I think it was just over 200, can't recall. Anyway, I know it was low. Definitely hold off on the supplements until your test results come in. Then supplement with the best form of B-12 that you can get your hands on. I think that you will see a difference when your levels go up. Your doctor doesn't have to agree on this , although it would be nice, she only has to check your B-12 levels. Ask her to just humor you a little , maybe that will work. I know you have been at this for a long time. Take care and keep us posted. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 05-24-2009, 12:19 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi help wanted - my digestive enzymes are prescription only. I have tried the natural ones you buy over the counter made from vegetables/fruit, but they weren't strong enough for me. I think they are good for people who don't have much of a problem or overeat and drink at parties/festive times and just need a little 'help'. People who have actual digestive disorders need something stronger. Mine are called Creon Forte, but i'd say different countries might use different names. It says on the container they are made in Germany and they are pure enzymes from porcine (pigs).

I'm not sure what the general testing is for digestive disorders and how mainstream doctors work out what's going on. I probably mentioned that i did a stool analysis test to work mine out, but i think there is only one lab in my country possibly running this specific test. I do know people from all over the country and overseas mail stuff to them. You get a kit and is all 'DIY' in the privacy of your own home and then you post or courier it to them.

General stool tests only look for blood and maybe parasites, but i've not heard anybody on the boards mention it checking for digestive issues, except for myself.

With your situation (and like most of us) you could have multiple issues going on. Somehow i don't think your doctor and others at her practice will listen to you. You really do need to find someone who looks outside the square. You can determine this from just one initial visit. If they only humour you with that look a parent gives a child, then they are useless. You need someone who sees you as an adult and with issues you find difficult to live with. Maybe someone who likes playing detective and solving mysteries Definitely someone who doesn't want to call the police when you mentioned the word 'internet', LOL

At least you are on the boards and doing your own research rather than being complacent and just sitting and waiting. Hoping it all comes good and soon!!

Old 05-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #19
(female)

i appreciate your input guys.
flower girl, my level was around 270 when it was tested several months ago.
Audrey, ill mention the digestive enzymes to my doctors and see what they say, otherwise i may get some myself and try them at some point.
You are exaclty right, thats how the doctors do look at me, and treat me like im pretending to be ill. Theyre so narrow minded, if basic tests are ok, they think everythings fine. And its such a slow process, trying this and that, if they just went ahead and tested me for anything relevant we mite actually have an answer. Its so frustratint to think im wasting my life being dreadfully ill becasue they wont help me.
Ill let you know how it goes!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:05 AM   #20
(female)

gemini123 HB User

Hi Help wanted,

It is frustrating as you know the NHS GPs have a budget and so will only do minimum tests.

I have the same problem i hate going to the GP becasuse i know that they will do minimum probing to find out why i am iron deficient.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I agree with gemini, i think with certain tests doctors can only do a certain amount of 'free' testing for a certain thing. Here we have the Medicare system. We do pay a Medicare Levy in our end of financial year tax return, but throughout the year you just show your card and get a free service for quite a number of things.

I got a bill for $88 for a Vit D test and i asked my doctor about the lab fees. He said the system doesn't like too many of this type of test going through the 'free' system and he has to be careful or he'll get into trouble.

With your digestive system, it's also worth a go buying some probiotic capsules. That was another thing the Lab which did the stool analysis mentioned. My fathers test came back very low in the good bacteria. Mine wasn't as bad as his, but borderline. I'm not sure why this is as neither of us eats huge quantities of foods which kill off the good bacteria and i rarely take antibiotics and he's never on them. Both of our tests came back with digestive issues though.

I'd hazard a guess that when one thing is not right with our digestive system, a whole lot of other things can occur. Sort of like a chain reaction.

With the probiotics, take them on an empty stomach, well before food. Maybe half an hour or so. I know they work for me in regards to keeping yeast infections at bay when i have been on antibiotics.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #22
(female)

hi guys..
sorry its taken me so long to reply but i actuallly ended up in hospital last week having my appendix out after an extreme bout of stomach pain which my GP tried to tell me on tues was too much stomach acid. and sure enough, later that night i had to take myself to the hopsital as the pain got so bad... i was diagnosed with grumbling/rumbling appendix on thursday and had it our friday - it was very nasty and pusy- really needed to come out. Now im at home recovering.

anyway, i was told when i went to see my gp on that tuesday that my latest bloods taken the previous friday were all normal. When i got to hospital on tues, my bloods were all over the place... high WBC, Inflammation markers etc

but here are my results from my blood tests done by the doctor the week before last

Heamoglobin estimation 14.9
RBC 5.01
MCH 29.7
MCHC 33.8
Heamocrit 0.44
MCV 88
white cell count 8
platelets 342
neutrophil 4.2
lymphocyte 3.3
monocyte 0.35
serum folate 6
b12 280
serum ferretin 20

immunoglobulins were tested - one of which was high, but im assuming this was to do with the appendix starting to kick off.

now i was orignally worried about the b12 level but its actually gone up (272 to 280) since my last test almost a year ago.. but i still think its too low.
looking at the results of this new test im more worried that my ferretin has dropped from 67 to 20 in under a year... is this too low? could it be the casue of my fatigue etc?

i was told my thyroid was being tested but none of those results mean anything to me thyroid wise - i was looking for TS4 etc?

any input would be GRATEFULLY received!! ill keep checking for your responses

many thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi helpwanted - yes, your B12 and ferritin are both low. Are you taking any B12 supplements? Sublingual B12 which you dissolve in the mouth are great. I put my dad on these and his B12 went nice and high, up in the high 500's. You would likely notice feeling better with a higher level of B12.

Most definitely a ferritin of 20 could be making you tired. Remember we are all individuals and we'll all feel different at a level of 20. It might be within range, but it's still quite low. You would benefit greatly by lifting it higher.

For thyroid you are looking for TSH, T4, T3 and 'if' they check for Thyroid Antibodies, just incase you had an autoimmune thyroid disease.

Good to hear they got your appendix out in time. I'm sure you will feel so much better. Hoping you have a quick recovery

Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

helpwanted--I say raise both levels and you will feel like a new girl! However, if I remember correctly you have been suffering this fatigue for years and at that time (a while back) your ferritin was at the higher end of the range meaning above 50. So, in this case it makes me feel that your B-12 is a bigger culprit for you sense this has continuously been low and an ongoing problem for you. That is why I suggest raising both and see how you and your symptoms are feeling. At least your are finding a cause for your symptoms. Sorry to hear that you had to get your appendix out, I wonder if that hasn't been a problem for a while causing some symptoms? Take care. FLFG

Old 06-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #25
(female)

thanks guys, im not happy about either if these levels so ill *try* to talk to my doctor about them, and also try and get a more comprehensive thyroid test.

Flowergirl, what you are saying about the b12/ferretin makes sense, although im wondering if my i saw no improvement in my symptoms when my ferretin was higher becasue my b12 was still low, and i need both to be raised at the same time to see any improvement. Im hoping that the appedicitis has something to do with my stomach problems but im not holding my breath.. im not sure why i would have low b12/ferretin, im thinking maybe absorption problems related to my stomach symptoms... but then surely id be low in everything else too?

Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 AM   #26
(female)

so i went to the doc today..
she wouldnt dmit tht my ferretin ws low.. she said it ws nothing to worry about because im not aneamic and becasue the level fluctuates anyway. but she did agreee that it had dropped quite a lot since last year, so shes given me some b12 tablets and ferrous fumate to try for a few months, and agreeed to retest my levels. she also didnt retest my thyroid as she sid she would on the last blood test becsue it was normal last years and she said it rarely changes. but she has greed to test it again when i have my b12/ferretin rechecked, and i will be sure to get a copy of the results this time.
i asked her about absorption issues and she said my inflamed intestine could have affected the absorption of iron a bit, but said its normally due to periods, and mine have been getting heavier again lately but i dont know why.

so basically all i can do is take the pills for a few months to see if my levels go up and if theres any improvement in symptoms... if this doesnt work ill recheck my thyroid, but if thats normal then i really dont know whats causing my illness. Fingers crossed that this works. im also going to have to keep an eye on my periods... they used to be very heavy before i went on the pill, but they were a lot lighter and less painful for the past few years... in the past 6 months ive had spotting and theyve started to get heavier again... im still on the pill so the doc says my hormones should all be balanced so i dont know whats casuing the period problems... shes suggested an internal exam in the past...

Old 06-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

helpwanted, good for you finally getting the help that you need. It's about time! I think that you will see a difference in time. You know that you didn't get there over night and that it will take some time to rebuild your B stores and ferritin. No, you are not anemic BUT when you deplete the ferritin stores over time then the final stage of ferritin stores IS indeed anemia. Oh well, I'm just glad that you are getting the help that you need and you are finally on to something as a cause of your problems. I think that you should address your heavy periods with your doc and have that trans vaginal US. It's a little strange but it's okay. Take care. FLFG

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 06-14-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #28
(female)

Thanks Flower girl, hopefully this finally is the answer! How long do you think it will take to build up my b12 and ferretin? im guessing itll be a few months untill i see any imporvement.
one more question... does any one no the normal/optimum range for folate?
whats a trans vaginal US?!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

help wanted --That depends on your own body and what is causing your problem in the first place. If it is malabsorption, to what degree do you malab. and so on and so on. It takes a long time for the ferritin as you already know. B-12 seems to be hard for some people as well especially if they are not on IM injections (jabs). Take care and do keep us posted. I know this has been a long time for you.

My Folate reads greater than >20 I have seen different ranges so I really can't answer that.

FLFG

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 06-18-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi helpwanted - the 'transvaginal US' is an internal and external ultrasound, which i'd advise everyone who has period issues to get.

As for malabsorption issues, depends what issues you have. I have low pancreatic digestive enyzmes to digest all protein foods so i'm taking something for that. Some people have low stomach acid so need help from digestive enzymes to help digest food. Some people have gluten intolerance and the gluten causes damage so that malabsorption of nutrients occurs.

I've got a long standing ferriting problem and my Vit D is taking forever to move upwards, yet my B12 and folate are fantastic. You need adequate B12 to help absorb folate, just like you need adquate Vit D to help with calcium abosrption.

Vitamins are funny old things, it appears that for everyone one vitamin we need it in turn assits absorption of another key vitamin/mineral. Kind of like Noah's Ark, two by two.

The doctor who told you that thyroid results couldn't change from one year to the other is very wrong. My dad doesn't have a clear cut thyroid issue and he doesn't need to be on meds, but his thyroid TSH, T4 and T3 all changed in the space of 3 weeks, especially his TSH. It went from being hyperthyroid to a bit higher than desired all within 3 weeks. His T4 was also in the hyper area. The weird thing was that once i got him onto sublingual B12 and Vit D and some more ferritin his thyroid figures on the following blood test all came back to much better figures.

The fact is that so many things we are actually low in can affect how other areas of our body functions. Sadly a lot of doctors dont see this!!

Closed Thread