It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

Exhilia HB User
Question Low ferritan count & high platelet count

Can someone please help me? My daughter has consistently had low ferritan levels along with high platelet count for 2 years. She has been unable to mentally and physically function properly. The medical community seems totally unconcerned about this. Her health is rapidly deteriorating. Could someone give me a specific diagnosis. Is this simply iron deficiency anemia or is there another diagnosis? Why is her platelet count high?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
(female)

mbbasketball HB User
Re: Low ferritan count & high platelet count

You did not say what her labs are. I have had the same problem. When my ferritin was really low, 2, my platelet was around 425. I have also noticed that over the years, as my ferritin get lower, my platelets increase. I would suggest that you take your daughter to a hematologist. While a pcp can take the regular blood test, from my experience they do not really take ferritin below lab range anything to be concerned about. My hematologist says anything below 70 is not good. As for me I am still not sure why my ferritin drops but at least my hematologist keeps my ferritin above 70 with iron infusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
(female)

Exhilia HB User

Thanks for your advice. My daughter's ferritin level is 9 and her platelet count is 444. I guess I have to demand that my daughter be given an appointment with a hematologist. This has always been on my mind but I have thought that surely, if necessary, a general practictioneer would refer my daughter if warranted. Because my grandfather always had a low B12 level, as myself (but not pernicious anemia) and a cousin died of leukemia (although the old hospital records state "blood dyscrasia", I am also concerned that there might be some kind of genetic blood disease. I will get an appointment ASAP. Thanks again

Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

I would be seriously interested in your daughter's B12 level.

The platelet level isn't alarmingly high, but the ferritin is certainly low. How is the rest of her CBC?

Closed Thread