It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

chis HB User
high serum iron low ferritin???

I am 50 and still have periods but very heavy for the last year. I'm wondering what these blood results mean.

Iron, Total 251 normal is 40-160
TIBC 379 normal is 250-450
Transferrin Saturation 66 normal is 15-50%

Ferritin 14 normal being 10-232

So my serum iron is very high and also transferrin saturation is high
I know that the iron and tibc is divided to get the transferrin saturation

Also worried that my ferritin is very low normal.
Can anyone tell me what's going on.
The doctor never mentioned these results. She was concerned about my urinalysis coming back with micro blood. I just picked up a copy and saw this. Thank you for any help and info.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: high serum iron low ferritin???

chis--Welcome to the boards! I don't know what condition that you have that is raising your iron levels, I can explain some things to you that may help you understand what results you should be looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chis View Post
I am 50 and still have periods but very heavy for the last year. I'm wondering what these blood results mean.

Iron, Total 251 normal is 40-160This number should not exceed the range. The high end range for this number is typically somewhere between 150-170 depends on the lab. Also, was this a FASTING iron test? This number changes according to supplements and foods we eat. Are you taking iron supplements?

TIBC 379 normal is 250-450

Transferrin Saturation 66 normal is 15-50%Your Sat% should not exceed ((45%)) so that you don't overload iron.

Ferritin 14 normal being 10-232[COLOR="Blue"]This shows that you have very little iron storage, which if overload is your case this would actually be a good number to have.

So my serum iron is very high and also transferrin saturation is high
I know that the iron and tibc is divided to get the transferrin saturation

Also worried that my ferritin is very low normal.
Can anyone tell me what's going on.

I can't say that I know what is happening with you because I am only a dumb patient, however, you have high iron and sat that could be an indicator of iron overload. If you are having heavy periods as you say, this could be acting in they same sense as a phlebotomy would for someone wanting to lower iron stores due to a iron overload condition. Many times this can be overlooked until a women reaches menopause. So until your ferritin is elevated above 200 I don't think that they would even treat you now. After menopause women begin to hold and store the excess iron. That is ONLY IF this is what is happening to you. I am just giving an educated guess here according to what I have learned about this condition. Also, Have you had a CBC because this tells much more about the actual blood cells and you will want to know what your MCV is because this also can be elevated if there is too much iron, also seen in other conditions too.

The doctor never mentioned these results. She was concerned about my urinalysis coming back with micro blood.
Many times the doc address the most important thing first.

I just picked up a copy and saw this. Thank you for any help and info.

It's good that you got a copy of your labs and acted on it. I think that you may want to have further testing done. When an iron panel comes back high then the next test should be DNA testing according to my doctor. I really can't say if this is what is happening with you, but your % and iron should be lower. Definitely go back and ask questions. Do you have a GI doc? They tend to know a great deal about this stuff. Keep us posted. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
(female)

chis HB User

Thank you Flowergirl. I do take just a Women's One a Day multivitamin which does have iron in it. My gyno recommended this since I have heavy bleeding monthly. But then if it is working why would only my serum Iron be very high and have the lower end of ferritin?
I fasted for the blood work and since I had to wait a long time in diagsostic center until they finally called me it was a very long fast without eating or drinking.
I always thought that the genetic disease which causes high Iron (hemacromatosis) was strictly found in more Northern european decents. My family is Hungarian. Also my dad & mom are in their late 70's and don't have high iron problem.
I am going to call my doctor Monday and ask what all this means. Hope she is knowledgable though.
Pat

Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Pat--You are right about HH, I think that there are other comditions that can cause overload (that are not HH,) I'm not sure though. I don't understand how a simple multi vitamin (low dose iron) could give you such a very high saturation and serum iron. The heavy periods explain the low ferritin, almost without a doubt. Iron supplements can skew the blood test. Perhaps a simple repeat of the iron panel is in order. Keep us posted. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 04-23-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
(female)

vocalist1945 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chis View Post
Thank you Flowergirl. I do take just a Women's One a Day multivitamin which does have iron in it. My gyno recommended this since I have heavy bleeding monthly. But then if it is working why would only my serum Iron be very high and have the lower end of ferritin?
I fasted for the blood work and since I had to wait a long time in diagsostic center until they finally called me it was a very long fast without eating or drinking.
I always thought that the genetic disease which causes high Iron (hemacromatosis) was strictly found in more Northern european decents. My family is Hungarian. Also my dad & mom are in their late 70's and don't have high iron problem.
I am going to call my doctor Monday and ask what all this means. Hope she is knowledgable though.
Pat

Closed Thread