It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

munchkingirl HB User
Burning sensations in hands, feet - and genitals - help!

Hi there

I was recently diagnosed with anemia with a very low red blood cell count of 8. I have fibroids and very heavy periods, so I guess that explains it. I've been on the iron tabs (250mg x 3 a day) for 3 days and felt great for 2 days, but today I feel too tired to do anything and the shaking, heart palputations, sore throat, dry mouth and general flu-like symptoms have returned.

The weirdest thing has been the burning sensations - and I understand it can be a side effect of iron deficiency to get burning and soreness in the hands and feet and also the tongue, but I can't find it documented anywhere that you can also get burning and stinging in the genital area.

My doctor took a swab which was clear and I have no other symptoms e.g discharge etc. Everything else is normal and this is not thrush as I previously thought. It is definitely related to the anemia because it almost went away over the last 2 days and then was back yesterday evening, but this time just externally rather than inside my vagina, which had been the case before. It is excruciating and the only thing that calms it down is yoghurt (I guess because it has a cooling effect). It also only gets really bad in the evening and then in the morning, after sleep, it feels ok again.

I've heard that occasionally this can be a symptom of pernicious anemia (B12 deficiency), but not of iron deficiency.

Has anyone else experienced this, or heard about it - please let me know because both me and my doctor are baffled by this, and it's also quite scary.

Thanks a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Burning sensations in hands, feet - and genitals - help!

Hi munchkingirl and welcome to the boards Regarding the burning you are experiencing, i've not personally heard of that. Maybe somebody else on the boards can give more ideas on that issue.

I myself was getting heavier and heavier periods and also my once regular periods were all over the place. I've since heard that being anemic can make the menstrual flow heavier, but also this can be a symptom of excess estrogen which would be the reason you have the fibroid issue. Fibroids love and excess estrogen invironment.

A lot of women have hormone issues where one or more hormones are not balanced. This can cause all manner of symptoms. A lot of doctors will not deal with the hormones, but will likely remove the fibroid which should also ease a number of symptoms you might be experiencing.

I never knew i had the fibroid and didn't know my ferritin was low. I did have hair shedding and messed up cycles. I went to a naturopath as my doctor was no help. The herbs have made my cycles regular and my periods lighter. My naturopath is now changing my herbal mix a bit and adding in herbs to balance my hormones by lowering my estrogen and also to shrink the fibroid. Fibroids will shrink on their own when there isn't sufficient estrogen. They will also shrink on their own after menopause when most women typically lose a lot of estrogen.

I gather you wont want to wait till menopause though So you should discuss with your doctor/gyno what they will do for you. Even if they surgically remove the fibroid, i'd be questioning your doctor about your hormone levels. If you are on birth control pills, maybe they are not right for you personally, especially if they are high in estrogen or, as some of the newer forms of BC pills tend to be, estrogen only.

For me the herbs have done a lot and they also appear to have gotten rid of some bad PMS i was experiencing. I'm hoping lack of symptoms means my hormones are correctly. I'll be getting test results in a couple of weeks so hopefully i'll have more news to give then.

I hope you feel better soon. The burning, especially vaginally, wouldn't be pleasant. So long as your doctor has taken swabs and checked for all things possible. It could be a light case of yeast or BV. Maybe if you post on the Women's Health section of the boards. Someone there might have more experience in that area.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

munchkingirl-- I am very curious how you are feeling now? Are you still experiencing these symptoms that you mention? You may be experiencing more than one thing going on at this time, along with your iron deficiency. It does not sound like typical iron deficiency symptoms to me. Neuro symptoms are associated with B-12 deficiency as you say, but not typical of iron def. That doesn't mean this is not your own personal way of experiencing iron deficiency though, it's just not typical. Sometimes when our systems are so run down other things may be lurking in the background and present at this time. I know, It happened to me. So, when you have a multitude of symptoms that are typically non specific, I would look for further testing. Keep us posted. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
(female)

munchkingirl HB User

Thanks for your replies guys.
I am feeling progressively better each day but it is very very slow progress. The burning sensations have definitely lessened and on some days I don't get them at all, so whatever it was, it was definitely being made worse by the anemia. My doc took another swab and still nothing, so maybe I have a PH inbalance or something, but may not find out now.

Is it normal for symptoms to come and go when you're recovering? Sometimes I feel OK, although always tired, and other days I get the fast heart beat and shaking and chest pain or the burning sensations, then they go away again. No 2 days have been the same.

I'm also extremely worried about getting my period. I have period pain at the moment and this can last a week before my period comes. I'm really concerned the burning and other symptoms will get worse again through the loss of blood and I'll have to start from scratch. The doc gave me some Melanefic Acid or something which is an anti-inflammatory to help with period pain and hopefully make my period less heavy, but she says it may or may not work.

If I'm on the iron tabs will my period make alot of difference to my recovery in your experience?

Thanks again for your help.
munchkin

Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
(female)

Linda11952 HB User

Hi Munchkin,
I'm responding to your comment about period pain a week before your period starts.
I had endometriosis & had terrible pain before my period. Also knew when I ovulated cause that was painful too. Have you mentioned this to your GYN?
I'm sure endometriosis can cause anemia too, because it is abnormal bleeding. I had it over 25 years ago & not much was known about it then- but I think it is well understood today.
Good Luck.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
(female)

Blessings2000 HB User

I'm amazed. I've kept a list of my weird sensations, and they include yours. It all started after Serotonin Syndrome and Serotonin Withdrawal. I've had burning/stinging sensations in my groin, hands, feet, brain, and mouth. The groin part is gone and the hand part is almost gone, but the mouth, feet, and brain are still very strong., I haven't gotten any help from doctors. I did get a B-12 shot a couple of weeks ago, but nothing has changed. I've had CT and MRI, and showed no abnormalities. I have problems at C-5/6 and C-6/7, but so do lots of folks. I was amazed to find people having these same sensations.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
(female)

munchkingirl HB User

Hi Blessings

Thanks for that - Since my anaemia has cleared up the burning in my genitals has cleared up alot and also in my hands and feet. I still get weird stinging and burning sensations in my vagina occasionally, however, and I've recently found out this can be due to perimenopause. I've just posted under the menopause section, because since I posted here I've discovered practically all my symptoms, and some new ones including nerve pains, nausea and tummy ache are due to hormonal imbalance.
Maybe you should get this checked out?

Munchkin

Closed Thread