It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
How to take thyroid meds. and iron supplements

I just started on Armour Thyroid for Hashimoto's. I am taking a dose in the morning and another dose mid afternoon. The pamphlet that came with the Armour said not to take within 4 hours of iron, but didn't say why. Is it because it will interfere with the absorption of the iron, the absorption of the Armour, or is there some other reason I don't know about like some adverse reaction if taken too close together?

I'm having a heck of a time taking iron twice a day with all the restrictions that goes with it, taking Armour twice a day on an empty stomach and all those restrictions, and spacing out Armour and iron.....well you get the picture. Any suggestions? What do any of you do?

Today I forgot the second dose of Armour!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: How to take thyroid meds. and iron supplements

hello herekittykitty-In my case I take Synthroid and my Endo told me that it is the Synthroid that is not absorbed if taken too soon. However, I only waited 3 hrs because I had the same problem as you and many others, so I took it then. My blood testing showed that I was absorbing the Synthroid and the doc said that is fine. I'm sure this is the case.

I don't know what your scheduled times are for your Thyroid meds, does it matter? I take my Synthroid on an empty stomach and don't eat for 1 hr. That is what Synthroid calls for. What is the spacing of the hrs for taking Armour? You also can't lie down after taking iron.

What type of doctor are you seeing? FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

retroworx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
I'm having a heck of a time taking iron twice a day with all the restrictions that goes with it, taking Armour twice a day on an empty stomach and all those restrictions, and spacing out Armour and iron.....well you get the picture. Any suggestions? What do any of you do?

Today I forgot the second dose of Armour!
Have you considered taking your Armour sublingually? Many of us do, and it is my understanding that this method eliminates the issues of counteractions/interference with other meds as the hormone goes directly into your system, bypassing the stomach where it might mix with other drugs or supplements. (My dad who is a pharmacist confirms this, as does the doc who prescribes my Armour.) I have had weight loss surgery and have to take a TON of supplements a day with the same "separation" issues -- calcium from iron, thyroid hormone from multis, etc. If I didn't take my Armour this way, there wouldn't be enough waking hours in the day!

P.S. I don't believe that Synthroid is composited in a way that makes sublingual dosing possible, but I may be mistaken. Also, just to clarify, ANY Armour can be taken sublingually -- it isn't a special sublingual formulation.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

herekittykitty--I agree with retroworx that I have also heard you can take Armour SBL however, there can be situations where it would not be a good idea, and I don't know if this is a concern for you or not. Many people that have low iron stores/anemia also have heart issues and/or palps, high pulse rate, in this case it would not be a good idea to be taken in this way. If these are not issues for you, BINGO that's a great idea! It sure would clear your day. I had actually forgotten about the SBL for thyroid meds. I think that you should consult your doctor first and it may pay off since you are new to these meds to try it first orally to see how you tolerate a T-3 med. If you do well and have no other issues at hand then I would go for it! FLFG

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
(female)

jill60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
hello herekittykitty-In my case I take Synthroid and my Endo told me that it is the Synthroid that is not absorbed if taken too soon. However, I only waited 3 hrs because I had the same problem as you and many others, so I took it then. My blood testing showed that I was absorbing the Synthroid and the doc said that is fine. I'm sure this is the case.

I don't know what your scheduled times are for your Thyroid meds, does it matter? I take my Synthroid on an empty stomach and don't eat for 1 hr. That is what Synthroid calls for. What is the spacing of the hrs for taking Armour? You also can't lie down after taking iron.

What type of doctor are you seeing? FLFG
My Dr. suggested taking iron right before bedtime! Just when I think I have it figured out I read something different!

Thyroid meds are suppose to be the same time everyday! 4 hours without food is considered an empty stomach. I take synthroid & I was told to only wait a half hour before eating.
What's a person to do!

Jill

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

retroworx,
I have never heard of taking Armour sublingually. I just have to ask what it tastes like?!? With the smell like it is, I would hate to taste it!

Flowergirl mentioned the heart palpitations and racing heart and I do have those things. So I guess it wouldn't be an option for me?

I take iron twice a day, and Armour twice a day, so taking the iron just at night wouldn't work for me. The iron dose at night is the only one that's not interfering with anything (and I don't lie down afterwards as I had read that on my pamphlet that came with the iron and on these boards).

I've been taking my second Armour dose at 3:00 but I know it's not on an empty stomach as I eat small meals all day or I get pretty shakey.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

flflowergirl:

You mentioned that you felt better right away with thryoid meds. I am feeling better already too after only 4 days. I went shopping today and went to 4 different stores! I haven't been shopping since Christmas and I don't even know how many years it's been since I went to multiple stores. I was always too tired for shopping and I couldn't stand to get out of the car if it was cold outside. I am very cold intolerant (of course it's warm here now). I'm afraid to be too excited as I'm afraid it's too good to be true.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty--That's really good news. And the funny thing is is that it takes weeks to build in your system. However, I really think that those of us that are in such need really can feel a difference right away. I know every morning I can't wait to get to my Synthroid. It's the first thing that I do if that tells you anything. Hope you continue to feel better. Eventually it should be the norm for you. I hope so. Take care. FLFG

Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
(female)

retroworx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
retroworx,
I have never heard of taking Armour sublingually. I just have to ask what it tastes like?!? With the smell like it is, I would hate to taste it!
You know, it smells a LOT worse than it tastes -- the Armour has some sort of sugary sweet-tasting coating on it, actually.

Quote:
Flowergirl mentioned the heart palpitations and racing heart and I do have those things. So I guess it wouldn't be an option for me?
I have only heard of those as symptoms of too much thyroid med, pushing you up into hyper instead of hypo -- I have never heard of those being symptoms of taking sublingually per se, so I'd check with your doc on those issues.

Re feeling good right away: I had been falling asleep EVERY SINGLE EVENING after dinner. After my last Armour dosage bump, that stopped IMMEDIATELY -- I mean literally the very same eve. This makes sense, because it is my understanding that tho the T4 and other elements in Armour may take several weeks to build up in your system, the T3 -- which provides the energy boost -- actually works immediately and has a half-life of 3-5 hours. That's why I too split my dosage (sublingually) -- so that I'll have energy thruout the day, and not just in the A.M.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
I have only heard of those as symptoms of too much thyroid med, pushing you up into hyper instead of hypo -- I have never heard of those being symptoms of taking sublingually per se, so I'd check with your doc on those issues.
Yes, you are right, either too much CAN make you Hyper--OR people that are sensitive OR just not able to tolerate a T-3 med well can experience Hyper symptoms. Too much at one time (through quick release) into the system can cause you become hyper the same as getting too much, as you say.

When taken with food the T-3 is released at a much slower rate so that people of this nature can also reap the benefits of a T-3 med, whom otherwise could not have taken it all at once into the system without Hyper symptoms when taken SBL. That is what I was saying about taking SBL. SBL is a great way to take Armour IF you are one of those people that can. FLFG

Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
(female)

retroworx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
Too much at one time (through quick release) into the system can cause you become hyper the same as getting too much, as you say.

When taken with food the T-3 is released at a much slower rate so that people of this nature can also reap the benefits of a T-3 med, whom otherwise could not have taken it all at once into the system without Hyper symptoms when taken SBL.
Ah! Nice way around that problem.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, that is if you are lucky enough to have Armour prescribed to you in the first place, a daunting task for some. FLFG

Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Herekittykitty-Are you still feeling a difference? I hope so.......FLFG

Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Hi. Yes, I am still feeling a difference, more after the morning dose than after the afternoon dose. I'm thinking probably my stomach is not empty enough and I am not absorbing like I should in the afternoon. Having a half day that I feel normal is a half day better than what I did have. I'm still tweeking the times on taking everything, so I think I'll get worked out what is good for me.

Thanks for asking.

So you can't get your doctor to prescribe Armour? I have read that is quite the problem for some. I was lucky enough to find a doctor on the first try that will prescribe it. She is an internal medicine doctor that went back to school and got her D.O. also. So she is an M.D. and a D.O.

Last edited by herekittykitty; 05-09-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Herekittykitty- Perhaps that not feeling it as much in the afternoon may be due to the fluctuation in your TSH. I have always gone through a period of tiredness in the afternoon. This is when I grab an afternoon tea and I'm good. I know that's not what your ~supposed~ to do.

No I can't, and I'm not even sure that I could handle it. I am going to ask at my next visit what he thinks again because I have chronic fatigue and aching muscles. I shouldn't be hypo either but I am late on checking my numbers, I will find out shortly. So maybe adding a t-3 in the mix is my cure, LOL. I may not be a candidate for that, I already run a high pulse. Sounds like you have a good doc. Hope you continue to do well with your meds. Take care. FLFG

Closed Thread