It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

tajinder85 HB User
how long does it take for ferritin levels to rise once taking ferrous sulphate

how long does it take for ferritin levels to rise once taking ferrous sulphate 200mg three times a day. my ferritin is 6 and started taking it two weeks ago...x

Old 05-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: how long does it take for ferritin levels to rise once taking ferrous sulphate

tajinder85--Welcome to the boards!

That would depend on if you are anemic or not and how well you absorb. I can tell you that it takes 30-45 days to respond to iron supplements when anemic. It took me once, two months to go from 8.5 to 12.9 Hgb with iron supplements in the amount that you are taking before the ferritin would begin to store a rather small amount. This is so different for everyone because it depends on so many factors. It can take up to a year to completely fill the stores *without* having more issues such as malabsorption. Reason is you can only absorb a little iron each day and this takes time. A six ferritin is still rather low. Your body has a built in mechanism so to speak that absorbs according to the need for iron, when there is more crisis and lower iron the body will absorb at a faster rate and then it slows when it thinks that it is safe and then it takes longer when that happens. The whole thing is just slow so be prepared to be patient. Hope that helps a little. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

tajinder85 HB User
Re: how long does it take for ferritin levels to rise once taking ferrous sulphate

Thankyou for the very quick reply FLFG

My iron levels are normall at 11, its just my ferritin that went quite low to 6, and its caused half of my hair to fall out in the space of 3 weeks, so i just thought that the quicker my ferritin levels increase, the quicker my hair would stop falling out.

Taj x

Old 05-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

I know for me it is SLOW! My hemoglobin went up about 1 point every six weeks. My ferritin went up about 5-6 points every six weeks. I started at a ferritin of 2 and a hemoglobin of 9.5. So, my hemoglobin was within normal range fairly quickly. I would like to get my ferritin up to the 70-100 mark. So unless it starts moving quickly, it's going to take me years.

Last edited by herekittykitty; 05-19-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

You are very welcome. This is true, that's the way it worked for me. My hair was all over me, my house, in my food Yuck! I was just lucky that I have really fine hair, but lots of it so it didn't show up on my head, only the house. When I reached a 20 ferritin it slowed way down and I also had new hairs popping out all over my head, which was actually a problem for me to deal with. I had to resort to using hair products and even iron my hair to keep them down, although, I was happy to have them . This number is different for everyone as to when they have relief. Personally, it took me a good while (8 months and an ablation) to get to a 20 ferritin. This however, will not be your case, it's just my own experience.

My best advice to you is to eat red meat (if you can) 3 X weekly along with your supplements, to build your stores quicker. Heme iron derived from red meat is the easiest to absorb and when taken with Vitamin C just as your supplement are it will increase the absorption 6 fold *I think* it is . Any hoo it is a lot. So, I would try that too. It helps, and makes a BIG difference IF you can do it. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 06-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
(female)

Wantok HB User

My ferritin went from 4 to 22 in six weeks. I was good about taking on an empty stomach with vitamin C supplement (250 mg) and I also added in red meat occasionally. I was happy with this because I felt so much better. Four months in and it is at 35, but hair is still falling out more than it should, although it has slowed down a bit.

Wantok

Closed Thread