It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
(female)

xtine04 HB User
why is my iron low?

why is my iron low and how do i begin to figure this out?

i seem to build iron slowly but as soon as i stop supplements my symptoms return... i decided on my own to cut back on iron as i was feeling fine and all my low iron symptoms returned. i don't even think i had a period!

so, i'm not sure if it's the heavy periods depleting my iron.. but something is.... or is it just that i stopped my pills before my levels were in normal range?

i can't help but worry about the 'c' word as i always assume the worst with my health...

other than low iron and a ear injury (which is slow to heal because of low iron) i'm in good health.. i think...

can stopping supplements before your levels are fully raised cause a return to one's symptoms?

and

what sort of tests has everyone had to figure out why iron is low?

thanks in advance,
christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

newinnj HB User
Re: why is my iron low?

Christine

Hi and welcome. I am no expert but I am being treated and tested for cause of anemia (iron deficiency type). My doctors have ordered colonoscopy and endoscopy for GI issues that could include not only cancer but polyps, hemmoroids (sp?), IBS, colitis etc., as well as ulcers etc. After that I get to have a pelvic US to look for tumors, cysts, fibroids etc. I also had a blood test for celiac disease. From what I understand, if all sources of potential blood loss are found to not be the cause, then you see a hemetologist to discuss the possibility of it being a blood or bone marrow disorder.

I have heavy periods so I'm hoping that will be determined to be the cause of my anemia, which has responded well to supplements.

Are you going back to your primary for more tests?

Keep us posted. I'm sure veterans on here will have more info for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread