It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Low Iron, when is the best time to take the supplement??

I found out my Iron is a 28 and should be a 90. I have started on the Iron a week or so ago. I am also taking Calcium and Prevacid for acid reflux. Both have been known to block absorbtion. So when is the best time to take the Iron so it will absorb. I usually take all my vitamins and meds a couple hours apart from each other. So when is the best time to take the Iron?

Thanks for any responses!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: Low Iron, when is the best time to take the supplement??

TEdds83--Welcome to the board!

Take iron at least 3 hrs apart from calcium/Tums and 2 hrs apart from Prevacid or any PPI use. 1 hr before or 2 hours after a meal is the recommended time to take iron supplements for best absorption.

To answer your question, It would depend on how many times daily that you have to take your supplement. When I take one daily, I take mine in the late afternoon when I have a completely empty stomach and won't be eating or drinking anything other than water for at least 2 hrs.

I have adjusted my schedule to take my PPI much later before bedtime so that it doesn't interfere as much. Just try to follow the guidelines as close as you can for your own particular schedule needs. Take care. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thanks for the info! Do you have any side effects from the Iron?? I swear that it makes me feel kind of dizzy shaky and upset stomach. I just wasn't sure if there were side effects or if this is something else going on.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Yes, I had bad S/E's from the iron ferris sulfate and ended up with enteritis for 3 months, lost 15 pounds and ended up in the ER over it. Usually, it is GI tract S/E's that people have problems with. Some have reported things that are not typical of iron supplements, however, it may be normal for them I really don't know for sure. If you really want to know you can discontinue the iron for a few days (if your numbers are not way too low and it is safe for you) and see if it goes away and then resume the supplements once again. This is your best bet. Take care. FLFG

Old 07-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks! I think I will consult with my doctor again before I take this. The days I took it I felt TERRIABLE!! and the days inbetween when I skipped it I was better. Weird, but true. I am going to buy plenty of Iron rich foods and try getting going with those, and make sure I take my mutli vitamin everyday with that in it. This is so frustrating and I am so constipated today and now that hurts. Dang! I hate this!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you are going with iron rich food only, I hope you are a meat eater. You only need to eat a small amount something like 3 oz of red meat, I don't remember but 3 X weekly for anemia is recommended.

As far as constipation goes, the higher the dose of iron the less the constipation. You will find this with more of the script type of iron. Depends on how sensitive your body is too. Take care. FLFG

Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hadn't been eating much red meat. Just trying to be careful. But I will do the 3x a week thing, along with Cream of Wheat and a multi vitamin. Anything beats how horrible I felt taking the iron. It was seriously that bad for me. I don't know why but it was. Thanks for the advice! Happy 4th of July!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83--How are you feeling about now?

You were just doing this diet until you go see your doctor again weren't you? Because...... I didn't want you to think that diet alone will correct and maintain levels. It most likely won't happen. Keep us posted. Take care.

Hope you had a Happy 4th as well. FLFG

Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

Hi Tedds,

I've just had the same reaction from the iron after taking it on an empty stomach as someone suggested - upset stomach, an urgent toilet trip - sorry for tmi - and shakiness. yuck! I agree, bring on the red meat!

Closed Thread