It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

NancyEllen HB User
Tannins in Decaf coffee

I just gave up my long time habit of drinking about 8 cups of tea a day. (Wow that was a fun week of withdrawal from caffeine.) I stopped drinking decaf coffee because I read there are tannins in that also. I am going crazy. Are there enough tannins in decaf coffee to cause a problem with iron absorption?

Thanks,
Nancy

Old 08-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Tannins in Decaf coffee

I know, i LOVE my cups of tea I simply switched to a brand of tea which has minimal tannins in it. There is one brand which is grown here and sold in the supermarket as well as over the net. It's called "Madura Tea" and it only has 2.8% tannins and one of my previous doctors actually got me onto it.

As for coffee, i found a couple of different ones in the supermarket which are not made from coffee beans, but from barley and some other natural things and therefore contain zero caffeine. It wont taste exactly like a true coffee but does the job. I most love my coffee first thing in the morning with breakfast so that's when i have a normal coffee (i love Moccona) and then i have my iron supplements at either morning tea time at work or with lunch.

Despite cutting down on the caffeine it's done nothing for my ferritin levels. I ended up finding out that i had a digestive issue which was linked to my thyroid issues. So i guess i can go back to not worrying about tannins etc but i'm used to it now.

So take a look at what is out there as there are some great products which can fill the void. The almost tannin free teas taste exactly like the 100% tannin teas. It's only the coffee's which taste different, but then again you can have your coffee but well away from main meals or iron supplements.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
(female)

dsarah HB User
Re: Tannins in Decaf coffee

Hm, this is quite interesting. I've never heard of tannins before. So I drink a cup of tea with my breakfast everyday. How much tea/coffee is necessary for iron inhibiting effects?

This whole idea makes alot of sense. When I was really sick from anemia I was drinking sooo much coffee to stay awake for my day/ job. huh, I probably aided in making it so much worse.

Closed Thread