It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

paperhearts63 HB User
Can anemia cause you to stop getting your period?

So I'm 19 haven't gotten my period in nearly a year. I'm normal weight, I'm definitely not pregnant, and I don't have a hormone imbalance. I took Provera to jump start my period but it didn't work. I'm wondering if I might have anemia and that's what's causing me to stop getting my period. I gave up eating red meat because it's high in fat so I might not be getting enough iron from my diet. I had a blood test done a few weeks ago and the results don't say I'm anemic, but the doctor did say she was concerned about my blood count and wants to do another test so I'm going back tomorrow. I started taking a multivitamin that says it has 18mg of iron in it, but should I be taking an additional iron supplement too?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
(female)

ChickieLou HB User
Re: Can anemia cause you to stop getting your period?

The lack of a period is suspicious, but I would not start iron until your doctor tells you to because iron can be toxic and you aren't shedding blood on a monthly basis as you should. I have the same thing: low blood count but my iron stores (ferretin) are "normal". In actuality, what doctors call normal ferritin many hematologists and some holistic types say is still too low. You might request all your lab results (be sure to request a ferritin test if you haven't gotten one) and post everything here. There are some very knowledgeable people on this board (or at least there were when I came here regularly about a year ago). I'm back looking for some answers too. We'll see.

Good luck.

Last edited by ChickieLou; 09-19-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

ChickieLou HB User

Ignore this message. I did something wrong.

Last edited by ChickieLou; 09-19-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
(female)

xwittostephx HB User

heyyy

am 15 and i think i have anemia i dont eat alot of meat mosts meat make me feel really ill.
i have not had my periods this month and i know that i am not pregnant but i am terrified of needles (since i was about 7 )
the doctor gave me iron tablets and said take them for a month but this was because i have been really tired resently she never said any thing about my periods

does anemia stop your periods ?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
(male)

guy in AU HB User

Taking a standard iron tablet for a couple of months to see what happens is quite safe, all you have to lose is the cost of the bottle of pills.

Carbonyl iron (Sundown Perfect Iron) produces a lot less side effects than most iron pills. Washing down the iron pills with a glass of orange juice rather than water can make your body absorb the iron better.

Closed Thread