It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

Constantly sick HB User
Fatigue, easy bruising and numbness in hands and feet.

Hi.
I have been going in circles with doctors trying to figure out what is going on. Something doesn't seem right, but all the tests they do come back normal.
Here are the list of weird symptoms I have been having off and on for the last 6 years, more so in the last 2 years:
  • Constant fatigue (regardless of how much I sleep the night before)
  • Easy bruising on arms and legs mainly following a major vein in my thigh
  • Numbness in hands and feet when sitting or laying down
  • Night sweats anywhere from 1 to 3 times a night
I have had several CBC's that came back normal, sometimes with a slightly lower white blood count. I have also had an immune system blood test that came back with IgA and IgM slightly low. I also had my hemoglobin checked which was at 12.
If anyone has any suggestions or is having similar symptoms and can give information is awesome! I have literally hit the wall with doctors.
Thanks
Constantlysick

Old 09-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User
Re: Fatigue, easy bruising and numbness in hands and feet.

With numb hands I would suspect low B12. Did they test you? And if so, what was the number? When I was having severe symptoms, my number was 326, which on most drs scales is normal (anything below 200 is low), but my hematologist knows people can have symptoms at any level 500 or lower, so I got the B12 injections and the symptoms disappeared. I also needed prescription strength folic acid.

What was your MCV value? It's a number on your cbc that measures your red blood cells. If it's high, it points to B12 or folic acid deficiency. If it's low, it could be iron deficiency. If you have both then your MCV could be normal - and in that case they'd need to test your folic acid, iron levels and B12.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
(female)

Constantly sick HB User

Japlopper,
Thanks for responding, unfortunately I don't know any of those levels. I just know that the CBC's that my previous doctor did were considered "normal." My husband and I just relocated for his job so I am having to start all over again. I am hoping that if I can talk to others about this, I can at least go into the appointment knowing what to ask and knowing what to have the doctor test/look for.
I love doing research and what I have come up with is it is either a low iron level (anemia) or a low vitamin b12 level. My only concern for getting this figured out soon is my husband and I are trying for children and I don't want this to affect the pregnancy in any way if left untreated.
The information you gave me will definitely give me a start! Thanks again!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
(female)

Constantly sick HB User

Update: I started taking 400mg of folic acid to start getting ready for kids. It has now been a week and the numbness has gotten better as well as not feeling as tired during the day. I still have odd symptoms like the night sweats and I recently started having a sore tongue. But these are nothing compared to feeling tired all the time and having my body go numb just from sitting for 5 minutes!

Closed Thread