It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
(male)

flemmy HB User
macrocytic anemia and low platelets

HI all..

Latest bloodwork is showing continued (since first tested in 2003) macrocytic anemia and a platelet count that is low and gets lower each time (now 104k). Are these 2 conditions always found together? Am wondering what may be the cause of both. My B12 and folate levels were checked a few years ago and they were ok. My doc isn't even running them again. Instead, he ordered a platelet antibody test (autoimmune?). He said if that's negative, he'd order a bone marrow biopsy (yikes).

Any experiences out there?
Thanks.
-michael

Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
(male)

ocelot HB User
Re: macrocytic anemia and low platelets

I have similar results. If you don't mind my asking, what are your MCV, HCT, HGB and MPV?

It would be worth your while to try to get the doc to test your serum b12, MMA, homocysteine and RBC folate just to be sure to rule out nutritional deficiency. Would also want to look at your peripheral blood smear for signs of polynuclear WBCs. These would address the issue of whether you had a megaloblastic anemia like pernicious anemia. Even absent positive findings on these tests, he could try you on a few months of B12 shots to see if you respond. Sometimes the deficiency is hidden and will only be revealed by a response to the shots.

Other questions prior to biopsy would include whether you drink alcohol much (it can suppress the marrow) or are taking any other drugs know to do so. If not, then your symptoms are potentially consistent with myelodysplastic syndrome, and the erythroid form in particular, known as refractory anemia, which is a histologic diagnosis (i.e., requires a biopsy).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
(male)

ocelot HB User
Exclamation Re: macrocytic anemia, low platelets and unusual autoimmune disease

Flemmy,

As mentioned previously, I have a similar set of symptoms, including macrocytosis, deteriorating red cell counts, platelet volume and plateletcrit, large and giant platelet forms and, more recently, teardrop red cells and fragments of megakaryocytes (platelet precursor cells) on the blood smear. I also have had an unidentified autoimmune disease resembling microangiopathic vasculitis and Sjogren's for over twenty years, as well as intermittent low levels of various immunoglobulins (A and G subgroup 2).

Last week my hemo gave me the first provisional diagnosis that actually fits all of the symptoms and history, and which is accordingly obscure. It is primary autoimmune myelofibrosis (PAIF), an autoimmune mediated proliferation of lymphocytes, megakaryocytes and reticulin fibers in the bone marrow caused by atypical autoimmune disease. It suggests that the immune system (the B and T lymph cells, in particular) are producing autoantibodies to cells, proteins or other molecules found in the marrow that are disrupting the function of marrow fibroblasts, erythroblasts and megakaryocytes. The fibers progressively destroy the bone marrow, resulting in eventual bone marrow failure. Untreated, the condition results in increasing pancytopenia (shortages of red, white and platelet cells) and resulting mortality due to beeding, infection or hypoxia.

The good news is that it can be controlled. The bad news is that treatment is with lifelong corticosteroids and, if required, chemotherapy. The differential diagnosis includes myelodysplastic syndrome, idiopathic myelofibrosis, acute myelofibrosis, CML, CLL, hairy cell leukemia, various lymphomas and acute megakaryoblastic leukemia (AML M7). I doubt any of those are present as my LDH and other typical signs of malignancy have remained normal.

This disease has remained underrecognized until recently because it effectively hides in the bone marrow, away from most rheumatologists' and other doctors' eyes. Rheums often don't recognize the seriousness of autoimmune features that don't fit neatly into the usual rheum diagnostic diseases. They also usually won't subject their patients to bone marrow biopsies or otherwise take very seriously the initially mild cytopenias that result as the myelofibrosis begins damaging the bone marrow, partly because they employ so many medications that cause those symptoms and thus assume the low blood counts are merely drug side effects (mine was so unconcerned with my relatively mild tenosynovitis and vasculitis that he took me off of plaquenil earlier this year, resulting in increased inflammation in my shoulders and all extemities; to be fair he also thought, plausibly, that the macrocytosis could be a side effect of the plaquenil). Significantly, these cytopenias are also regular findings in SLE, scleroderma, Sjogren's and other well-defined autoimmune conditions, and may often be caused by unrecognized autoimmune myelofibrosis (under those circumstances it may be characerized as secondary AIF).

As I have read back over your many posts it appears that you have dry eyes typical of Sjogren's (without other diagnostic features of SS) and hematologic symptoms very similar to mine. I would suggest you consult a hemotologist-oncologist about the possibility of autoimmune myelofibrosis, which is characterized in studies by atypical autoimmune features and otherwise unexplained multiple cytopenias like yours. Diagnosis requires high quality bone marrow biopsy and hematopathologic analysis (including complicated specimen staining, flow cytommetry, karyotyping and immunohistochemical analysis). In view of the condition's obscurity and the differential diagnosis, which includes a very dangerous form of leukemia (AML M7), I recommend finding a nationally recognized hematology-oncology practice associated with a national cancer laboratory to do the review. I will probably have my research-oriented Atlanta hemo-onco do the biopsy, but plan to get a second opinion on the diagnosis at Sloan Kettering in NYC or Anderson in Houston.

Best of luck.

Last edited by ocelot; 11-24-2009 at 12:17 AM.

Closed Thread