It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
(female)

sonnieone HB User
How often can I take iron supplements?

Hi guys!
My iron levels have been low for a few years now. Right now my HGB is 10.6 and my ferritin is 4. I have uterine fibroids (heavy bleeding) and had gastric bypass 6 years ago so not only do I have blood loss but absorbtion problems as well. Neither my pcp nor my gyn seem to be worried about this but after reading the boards here I realize that I need to take this more seriously! I don't seem to have any symptoms (maybe I do but since I've been living with them for so long it's normal to me). Anyway, my question is how far apart do I need to take my iron. I've been taking 60mg. three times a day usually about 4 hours apart. Is this ok or do I need to space it out more?

Last edited by sonnieone; 10-23-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

falcon42 HB User
Re: How often can I take iron supplements?

My opinion only but I think you need go to back to the gyn to have the uterine fibroid addressed and correct the anemia. Iron is toxic in high doses, you should consult the MD and have a level drawn.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
(female)

sonnieone HB User

Hi
Thanks for the input. I have been to the gyn several times for ultrasounds etc. to watch the fibroids. I'm not ready for surgery yet I think I need to do more research on my options. My gyn suggested a hystorectemy.

I'm not taking the iron on my own, my pcp recommended it. My hgb is 10.6 with ferritin at 4 so it is low. My problem is that I don't know how far apart I need to take the iron. It's not upsetting my stomach so my maybe its ok. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sonnieone; 10-24-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
(female)

vo-5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnieone View Post
Hi
Thanks for the input. I have been to the gyn several times for ultrasounds etc. to watch the fibroids. I'm not ready for surgery yet I think I need to do more research on my options. My gyn suggested a hystorectemy.

I'm not taking the iron on my own, my pcp recommended it. My hgb is 10.6 with ferritin at 4 so it is low. My problem is that I don't know how far apart I need to take the iron. It's not upsetting my stomach so my maybe its ok. Any input is greatly appreciated.
I take it twice a day and that is after I've had a hysterectomy.

Closed Thread