It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

nanart HB User
Unhappy Teeth and Pernicious

Can anybody tell me if Pernicious Anemia can cause dental problems such as receeding gums. I know my gums used to bleed before I started B-12 shots but, that has stopped and now my gums are starting to receed. I'm freaking out because I don't have dental insurance only Medicare and of course you can't get help for dental health even though your dental health can affect your general health. I'm 41 and getting panicky thinking I'll lose my teeth!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to nanart For This Useful Post:
Glory2God (05-02-2012)
Old 07-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
(female)

Happygolucky612 HB User
Wink Re: Teeth and Pernicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanart View Post
Can anybody tell me if Pernicious Anemia can cause dental problems such as receeding gums. I know my gums used to bleed before I started B-12 shots but, that has stopped and now my gums are starting to receed. I'm freaking out because I don't have dental insurance only Medicare and of course you can't get help for dental health even though your dental health can affect your general health. I'm 41 and getting panicky thinking I'll lose my teeth!!!!
Yes...I have pernicious anemia and I have receeding gums as well. I think it is a part of the autoimmune problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Happygolucky612 For This Useful Post:
Glory2God (05-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
(female)

afriendindeed HB Userafriendindeed HB User
Re: Teeth and Pernicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky612 View Post
Yes...I have pernicious anemia and I have receeding gums as well. I think it is a part of the autoimmune problem.
I have perncious anemia and have had for quite a number of years. For the past few months I have developed burning lips and gums so bad. Today I dropped into my doctor cause it was driving me nuts. She said it is very possibly connected to PA. Her suggestion is to take Complex Vitamin B and instead of my 3 monthly B12 shots make it once per month. At this point I'm willing to try anything as it is uncomfortable.

The Following User Says Thank You to afriendindeed For This Useful Post:
Glory2God (05-02-2012)
Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Can i suggest you start using Colgate Total toothpaste twice a day to brush your teeth, and follow this by rinsing with Listerine (or the generic store brand - they are just as good)

Try and see a dentist, even if you have to pay off the bill over time, as early gum disease can progress to tooth loss. The Colgate Total and Listering should help if used regularly twice a day, but review by a desntis is realy important.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

afriendindeed HB Userafriendindeed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
Can i suggest you start using Colgate Total toothpaste twice a day to brush your teeth, and follow this by rinsing with Listerine (or the generic store brand - they are just as good)

Try and see a dentist, even if you have to pay off the bill over time, as early gum disease can progress to tooth loss. The Colgate Total and Listering should help if used regularly twice a day, but review by a desntis is realy important.
I have done all that but now it's time to go to the dentist again whereby they will do the procedure of cutting back the gums and getting rid of the old plague build up. Ouch, am scared of that.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
(female)

Happygolucky612 HB User
Smile Re: Teeth and Pernicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanart View Post
Hi, yes....people always say you can tell a person's health status by the condition of their teeth....how true that is! I'm 52 and I've noticed that my gums sort of look bony. I used to have alot of meat on my teeth that hid the bony structure of the teeth underneath. Now...you can see the bony structure. Yes, my teeth do bleed when I brush them or when I floss. I use everything.....listerine tooth paste and I floss, and use listerine mouth wash and still my gums are red. I can't get rid of the redness and have tried to no avail.
Don't panic though...just do your best to keep plaque from settling on the teeth and gums. Maybe you need to have a cleaning is all it might be! Good Luck to you! You'll be just fine....no worries!~

Reply Reply