It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
(male)

teetertotter HB User
worsening of symptoms after b12

Hi,

can you get worse after starting b12 therapy? How long does it take to correct a deficiency and to get better? My UMMA was elevated and been having neurological issues for a while. A lot of symptoms got worse and some got better since starting the b12 but for the most part, its a LOT worse. I had to be wheeled in a wheelchair today for the first time being unable to walk. Usually i can walk myself but after starting methylb12 (or b12 in general) i got worsening of my symptoms.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
Re: worsening of symptoms after b12

teetertotter--Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your deficiency. I haven't experienced a B-12 deficiency however, I have some experience on these boards with it and have read at length about it as well. I can tell you what others here have said about their B-12 deficiency, they say that all the B-12 is going to the places in the body that need the most repair and that it is normal for this to happen when beginning the replacement therapy. It takes a long time to replenish the stores and to feel better. Have you been checked for MS? B-12, MS and Fibro are often misdiagnosed for each other. I am just throwing that out there. I was so ill with my iron deficiency and they thought at that time that I had MS, MRI's and all. I developed symptoms left sided symptoms that I still have to this day and have now been DX'ed as Fibro. Just food for thought. Your UMMA being elevated is a good indicator that it is a true B-12 deficiency. That is basically all they say, symptoms are worse before better after beginning replacement therapy. Take care. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
(male)

teetertotter HB User
Re: worsening of symptoms after b12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
teetertotter--Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear about your deficiency. I haven't experienced a B-12 deficiency however, I have some experience on these boards with it and have read at length about it as well. I can tell you what others here have said about their B-12 deficiency, they say that all the B-12 is going to the places in the body that need the most repair and that it is normal for this to happen when beginning the replacement therapy. It takes a long time to replenish the stores and to feel better. Have you been checked for MS? B-12, MS and Fibro are often misdiagnosed for each other. I am just throwing that out there. I was so ill with my iron deficiency and they thought at that time that I had MS, MRI's and all. I developed symptoms left sided symptoms that I still have to this day and have now been DX'ed as Fibro. Just food for thought. Your UMMA being elevated is a good indicator that it is a true B-12 deficiency. That is basically all they say, symptoms are worse before better after beginning replacement therapy. Take care. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Hi,

thanks for the encouraging words. it has been 1 week and 1 day since i started b12 therapy legitimately at normal doses of 1000mcg of methyl sublinguals. I am hoping that i will see the day i can go out and do things. SIGH

I have been checked for MS by a neurological who performed a physical and a brain scan with an MRI. but because of my age and other factors, he rules it out and said i dont have it (along with perfect MRI results). I didnt get a scan on my spinal cord or a lumbar puncture though but i really don't want to do that when i have a b12 deficiency to deal with.

Closed Thread