It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
(female)

tammyp HB User
Low iron symptoms

Is joint pain a sign of iron deficiency. I have pain in my knees, hips, elbows and a bit in the back of my neck. Also my arms and legs ache and twitch. I have no energy and spend most of my time lying on my bed. I've been tested for autoimmune disorders like rheumatid artheritis, lupus etc... and all have been negative. The doc said there is nothing else he can do for me and if I can walk to the surgery (3 buildings away) I must be Ok So I'm having to work out what is wrong myself. I think my iron may be low - has anyone else had the symptoms I've listed above?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: Low iron symptoms

Doctors can be real arses sometimes. What he is really doing is deflecting off the fact that he can't figure out what is wrong with you. Has he not tried to put you on antidepressants yet? That's what they usually do when they aren't smart enough to figure out what is wrong.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked out? Have you had a CBC done to see if you are anemic? Have your had your ferritin, vit. B12, Vit. D checked? These are some things that I would start with if you haven't had them checked yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
(female)

tammyp HB User

Yes, doctors can be real arses. I'm also quite shocked at how little they seem to know. I haven't been given antideppressants yet - but have been told it is stress - which I feel is just a cop out. I am stressed, but only because this is happening! My thyroid was Ok, but my b12 was low. I've been supplementing with b12, but when taking the supplements I got these symptoms. When I supplemented with b12 on a past occasion my ferritin dropped from 35 to 21 in 2 weeks, so I think that the same might have happened this time causing these symptoms. My Doc wont test me for ferritin as he already did a test a few weeks ago and it was 36. But I've taken b12 since then, and think this might have depleted my iron. I can't think of any other explanation other than the b12 is poisoning me!

Old 05-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Why not buy a bottle of iron tablets and give them a try for a month?

If, at the end of the month you are feeling better, then keep taking them for a few months to build your bodys iron stores. If you dont feel any better, back to the doctor for more investigations. A daily multivitamin like Centrum would also be a good idea.

Best of luck!

Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

One thing I have figured out over the past year and a half is that if doctors don't know anything about low iron and low ferritin, they really don't know anything about thyroid disorders!!!!!!!! If you could get your hands on your lab results along with the lab ranges and post them here, we can see more what is going on. So many people are told their thyroid is "normal" when in fact they have a thyroid problem. Thyroid issues can cause debilitating fatigue as well as anemia.

When the doctors start talking about stress, antidepressants aren't far behind. Beware! Like we aren't smart enough to know if we are just stressed or something is physically, medically wrong! EVERYONE is under stress in this world, but not everyone is so tired they can't get out of bed...

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
(female)

tammyp HB User

I'm really starting to wonder what docs actually do in their 7+ years training

I've got my thyroid lab results:

This February - 30 min serum TSH 0.9 mIU/L (0.3-5.5)
serum free T4 14.2 pmol/L (9-25)

This April - 30 min serum TSH 0.6 mIU/L (0.3-5.5)
serum free T4 13.2 pmol/L (9-25)

Does the slight drop after 2 months (I was taking b12 in these 2 months) mean anything?
Thanks

Old 05-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

tammyp,

Post those thyroid results along with the ranges, any other lab results you have, and your symptoms over on the thyroid board here on health boards. There are some really smart people over there that can interpret those results. I would love to hear what they say about them.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

If you're iron deficient, you might want to try Floradix. I tried ferrous sulfate tablets for a long time with no good results. But 6 weeks on Floradix (liquid iron) raised my hemoglin to normal.

Closed Thread