It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
(female)

momofthreeinrb HB User
Ferrous Sulfate dosage

I was rejected as a blood donor due to low hemoglobin. My doctor ran some blood tests and the nurse said I indeed have a problem. (am waiting for the lab results to come in the mail) The nurse said to take 325mg ferrous sulfate 3X a day. I purchased slow release tablets which are 160mg each. This would require me to take 6 of these pills per day which seems excessive from everything I have read. I called back to confirm and mentioned the type I purchased and the nurse did confirm to take 6 pills a day. Does this seem right?

I believe my problems stem from taking Protonix (a PPI med) for about 4 years now for hiatal hernias and the resulting GERD. I started feeling tired about 6-9 months after starting the Protonix but the intial tests a few years ago came back ok. Could the doc be prescribing a large dose to try and overcome the low absorbtion from the lack of stomach acid due to the Protonix? I have also read that non-heme iron in most supplements is not absorbed will with these meds. Should I be trying to find a supplement with heme iron?

I feel relieved to finally understand why I feel so tired, but am so confused about what to do. Any input would be appreciated!

Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
(female)

stillbright HB User
Re: Ferrous Sulfate dosage

Hi there,

For my anemia, my doctor prescribed 300mg of ferrous sulfate three times a day. Although yours is higher in dose, depending on how low your levels are this may be appropriate. I would say it sounds about right, especially if you double checked with the nurse who confirmed it. Stick with the prescription that the doctor gave to you, and it will raise your levels just fine.

Do make sure to keep an eye on how you're feeling as you keep taking them though, especially in high doses-- and go back to your doctor for blood checkups to make sure it is not too high. If you start to feel better, and then following start to feel worse (sluggish, exhausted, weak) get to a doctor ASAP.

Best of luck!,
Bright

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
(female)

Alhanna HB User

I'm on 325 mg 2x a day. So far, after 8 days, I am tolerating them well.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I am one of these people who gets diarrhea from iron instead of constipation that most people get. And when I had both of my knees replaced, I had to donate 4 units of blood over 4 weeks. I was so anemic after donating 2 units, I didn't think I could do the last 2. So I did some sleuthing.

I found out that if you take vitamin c with the iron, it is better absorbed so I took 500mgs of vit. C with the iron and my Hgb shot up quickly enough I could give all 4 units and still have my surgery. And I could reduce the amount of iron I took to help with the diarrhea.

I still do it but now with food. Whenever I eat anything with high iron content, I make sure to combine it with a citrus fruit for the extra C to make sure I absorb the iron.

Has really helped.

Jenny

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
(female)

Boozjee HB User

Yes, the amount seems right. I was taking in excess of 6, 325mg ferrous sulfate tablets a day with orange juice for a while. I think you're right about the Protonix. Without stomach acid, you can't absorb nutrients including iron. And as for non-heme iron absorption, you are absolutely correct, it is not well-absorbed. I recently switched to a brand that is a mixture of heme and non-heme iron and so far (fingers crossed) it seems to be helping. You can find it in just about any local drug store or major super market. In fact you may be able to find an even better heme supplement at a health food store although they're usually not cheap.
I didn't give the name brand of the supplement because I don't remember if we're allowed to do that here.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The dose is rather high, upper end of normal.

I would speak to your pharmacist and confirm the dosage

Old 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
(female)

bloodloser41 HB User

thanks,as i just started taking 325 mg x3..but i will start taking them with oj from now on...i also have to go to lab in a month to check for a thyroid problem...doctor was concern with dry skin,weight gain(rapid),and leg swelling,also hair loss(minimal). will let you know the outcome of that...

Closed Thread