It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User
Question Does anemia make me feel this bad?

I was diagnosed a month ago with iron anemia. It was just after surgery so they thought it was blood loss from that. I was put on iron pills (325 mg) but I am only feeling worse. I am exhausted and extremely dizzy. I have shortness of breath and heart palpitations, and so depressed I burst into tears for no reason. I can't think very clearly and I can hardly function. Is this normal for anemics or shoud I go back to the doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
(female)

Selenium HB User
Re: Does anemia make me feel this bad?

I have had exactly the same symptoms as you for the past two months, anemia can affect you in so many ways apart from physically, it can really affect you psychologically as well. You should definitely go back to the doctor and have a blood test to see exactly where your iron levels are at at the moment, perhaps the iron supplements aren't enough (I know in my case they weren't), if you are severely anemic perhaps you may want to consider iron injections or an iron infussion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
(male)

ryan2801 HB User

I was diagnosed with anaemia a month ago. My symptoms then were pain in legs when walking and shortness of breath. My red blood count was 8.2. I was given large dose Ferrous Gluconate Irons tablets and within 2 weeks felt much better. Its only during the last couple of days that I've felt light headed, spaced out, tired, anxious and very weak. I feel like I'm going to fall over. I don't understand this as my blood count last week had shot up to 11.6. I'm really worried as I'm the best man at my mates wedding on Saturday but I cant go feeling like this.

Any ideas?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
(female)

ard164 HB User

Any chance you were sedated with Nitrous Oxide for the surgery? It radically depletes B12 levels, and if you were already low-normal it could cause your problems. Please read "Could it be B12?" and get proper testing done for pernicious anemia, including UMMA and anti-Intrinsic factor antibodies. B12 serum level tests are CRAP. Get on it ASAP, please, if you do have it there's no time to waste.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
(male)

snap1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryT View Post
I was diagnosed a month ago with iron anemia. It was just after surgery so they thought it was blood loss from that. I was put on iron pills (325 mg) but I am only feeling worse. I am exhausted and extremely dizzy. I have shortness of breath and heart palpitations, and so depressed I burst into tears for no reason. I can't think very clearly and I can hardly function. Is this normal for anemics or shoud I go back to the doctor?
I have Hb of 12.5 when it is normally 15. I have many of the symptoms you describe. I feel really awful a lot of the time. I suspect a lot has to do with disruption of sleep and sleep patterns, for me. Years back I had Hb of about 9 and I felt horrendous. It was the worst time of my life. Sleep was awful. Breathing difficulties were so relentless I became anxious every day, and it grew worse as each day went on. I also get melancholy from nowhere, and just don't have stable or good mood. Having said that, of course it depends on the cause of the anemia. I had erosions from long-term use of NSAIDs the first time and looks like that's the problem this time. You'd think I'd learn, but I suffered severe back pain for months and gave into Ibuprofen. That stuff is awful. What was I thinking?

My experience, anemia has made me feel truly horrible on a daily basis; and in many of the ways you describe.

Closed Thread