It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

kimberly7171 HB User
Ferritin level is 19

I have been having major lightheadedness, headaches, and lots of hair thinning. I had extensive bloodwork done and everything is normal. My ferritin is 19 (range is 10-291). So it is low normal. My doc says this is not a problem but would this cause my hair loss and dizziness? So frustrating.. I keep losing hair and feel so "foggy" and offbalance every day. I know taking Iron can be bad but do you think i need something? Doc is referring me to an ENT for my dizziness.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

jaybirdlove HB User
Re: Ferritin level is 19

you do need an iron supplement.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

It could be the cause - if i were you, i'd go down to a pharmacy, and buy some iron tablets (65mg) and some vitamin c tablets (500mg), and take one of each every morning 9the vitamin c helps your body get maximum adsorbsion of the iron)

You should start feeling better within a few weeks, but it can take upto 12 months to totaly rebuild your bodys iron stores.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 01-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

rosiecrowe HB User

I HIGHLY recommend those dealing with low ferritin to read the book, "Stop the Thyroid Madness" by Janie Bowthorpe. And please keep in mind that experts (true experts) have found that "low" is anything below 50 . . . optimal is 70-90 . . . ignore what your traditional docs say . . . believe me, mine was 24 and I had TONS of symptoms: hair loss, fatigue, memory problems, chest pains, dizziness, irritability, exercise intolerance, palor, insomnia, etc., etc. And all this despite my thyoroid and adrenals being well treated. All these went away once I got my levels up to 78. Also, make sure to check your kids' ferritin if you're low. B/c they can only have as much iron as you have (if you're female). My kids' ferritin levels were 9 and 13!!! That is severely low. And they had tons of symptoms as well. We had to take approx 150 mg of ELEMENTAL IRON (in capsule form .. . liquid can stain teeth) to get ours up to optimal in approx 3 months. Be sure to take vitamin C along with your iron for absorption issues and to off-set free radicals produced by iron. I used Ferrochel Iron -- 18mg capsules. We took 4 at breakfast and 4 at lunch. For maintenance 1 per day is good . . . perhaps 2 for women during their period. Otherwise, your levels will most likely plummet again. I know many, like Mac2, are afraid of overdosing . . . I understand. But you simply could not overdose with such low storage iron . . . you'd have to have a ferritin over 100 and take more than 200mg elemental iron (available iron) per day for a few months to overdose. I was nervous about it at first (especially for my young kids), but taking 50 mg per day was barely moving our ferritin up at all . . . at that rate we'd probably never get to optimal. And having low ferritin is a serious issue. You'll find that high dosing is the case with any severe vitamin/mineral deficiency . . . like vitamin D, which everyone should also test (but make sure you test the active form, called Vitamin D 3). Hope this helps! Smile . . . there's hope .

Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
(female)

kimberly7171 HB User

It's just so frustrating. I asked my Dr. about the level of 19 and he said "well, its within normal range". But I'm like if 291 is also normal.. don't ya think 19 is pretty low? He didn't offer any suggestions. Since I have been having so much dizziness, he sent me to an ENT. I went there today and now I have to get an MRI and also keep checking my Blood Pressure. It keeps going high at times. I am scared to death of the MRI

Oh yeah, and about the book, stop the madness... i have not been diagnosed with any thyroid probs. That was in normal range

Old 01-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Buy some iron and c and see what happens - it shouldnt cost you more than 10 dollars, and it could totaly change your life

Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
(female)

rosiecrowe HB User

I'll speak very honestly to you here. If it were me I'd not do the MRI . . . you'll be exposing yourself to more radiation than is healthy for anyone and I doubt they'll find a thing. Plus, it's so silly cause your ferritin level already explains your symptoms. If your ferritin is 19 then you need to address that first before having more tests done . . . especially something as serious as an MRI. You're exactly right . . . if 200s are in "normal" range then 19 is very low. But you'd be surprised how totally ignorant most docs are these days since the majority of their training is now all about meds due to Big Pharma having their hands and money in everything. After 6 years of research in various health related areas, I know far more than most docs when it comes to practical diagnosis and treatment. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to make a point that you need to get better informed and not go with whatever you doc says to you. If I'd have done that I'd still be bed-ridden like I was just 1 1/2 years ago. Now I'm doing well and working full time, rising at 5:30am M-F and back to working out which I couldn't do for 4 years.

About the thyroid book, I suggested that b/c it's packed full of great info on other important systems besides the thyroid . . . like the adrenals and vitamin and mineral deficiencies and ferritin. Plus, just b/c your test said your thyroid was "normal" doesn't mean a thing. The normal range for thyroid is very off. If your TSH is over 2.0 you'll have symptoms. But that may be soley due to your low ferritin (and very likely low vitamin D, since most americans are very low in this crucial vitamin). Why not try taking 150mg elemental iron for 2 months and see how you feel? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. And take 6,000 IU of vitamin D3. I'd be shocked if you were still dizzy. And you'll probably find that a bunch of other "strange" things you experience on a daily basis have suddenly disappeared. I've helped several people with health problems who thought they'd never feel good again. And I've found that starting with the most rational, basic solutions are usually the very best.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
(female)

daisygirly HB User

I have a ferritin level of 13, iron saturation of 18%, and my doc said all was within range.
Also, just a side note...YOU WILL NOT GET RADIATION FROM AN MRI...IT USES MAGNETIC FIELD TO GET IMAGES NOT RADIATION.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Daisy, it might wel be within range (which is a statistical concept, not a medical one), but it could still be making you feel like a sack of you know what.

At your level, I'd be taking 65mg of iron and 250-500mg of vitamin c every morning - it shouldnt cost you more than about 8 dollars for a 3 month supply if you buy generics, and could make a massive difference to your life

Last edited by jonnstar; 01-29-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
(female)

Mac2 HB User

Hi Rosiecrowe - you are right - I was terrified of overdosing. My lowest ferritin level was at 10. That was a couple of years back. My prescribed dosage of ferrous fumarate was 210mg twice a day. I only took one of these pills per day (you know my fears!) and it has taken me over two years to get my ferritin levels up to 109. That reading was taken last Sept (2010) and I have very much lowered my dose now and only take it now and again. My palpitations have all but stopped and my hair is much thicker. The tiredness is virtually non existent - I used to sleep every afternoon but don't need to now. My daughter who is now 14 was also diagnosed with low ferritin at level 14. She is now at 86. She was suffering dizzy spells and hasn't complained of them for a long time now.

Closed Thread